Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Late to start more radishes?

Posted by ezzirah011 7a okc (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 17:37

I just took my first batch of french breakfast radishes out of the ground!!! I am wondering if it is too late to put another batch in? (they are cool weather crop, right?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Late to start more radishes?

Yes it is too late to plant more radishes. They are a cool-seaon crop. While they will grow for a while in hot weather, their flavor will be unbearably strong.

In late winter/early spring, you can start planting radishes as soon as your soil temperature at planting depth is 45 degrees or highly...so probably in late January or early February of an average year. You can succession plant more whenever you choose until about a month before your daytime high temps begin regularly exceeding 80 degrees. If you sow any later than that, the radishes usually are pithy and have an unpleasantly strong flavor. Also, the type of radishes we grow in late winter/early spring are annuals so high temperatures and late spring's/early summer's longer daylength causes them to flower and go to seed.

To plant radishes for fall, you can sow seed only after your daily high temps are falling below 80 degrees. For me, I think that is usually in October sometime....and not necessarily early in October and sometimes not until early November. They'll grow and do OK until nighttime lows start dropping below 40 degrees but the ones that are growing/developing once the nights are below 55 degrees will develop very slowly and sometimes can develop an odd sort of off-flavor.

You also can plant winter radishes (thery're a different type from summer radishes, and I think Dorothy grows them) about the same time you plant your fall crop of summer radishes. However, the winter radishes are cold hardy and will grow through the winter for harvest in winter or spring. Usually winter radishes are larger than summer radishes.

o
RE: Too Late to start more radishes?

I planted two winter radishes and my fav spring radish French Breakfast last fall. The winter were Daikon, a long big white icycle type and a small round green and rose one from Baker's. Forgot the name. Neither of the winters actually overwintered, but froze out in midwinter. The only thing that reliably overwinters for me here is spinach and this last winter mine survived being eaten by deer twice and zero temps. Ate the last of it this past spring very early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here