Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone had success with heucheras?

Posted by ozlifter 7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 17:40

Today, my local Lowes had Fire Chief Coral Bells (heucheras) marked down from $14.98 to $3.00 each. They were very pretty, large, healthy plants, so I bought 10 of them.
I've really never had much success with heucheras before, though. Has anyone here grown them with much luck? Do you have any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone had success with heucheras?

I've had some I really liked then they all vanished. I just bought a couple.

I noticed Guthrie Green in Tulsa is landscaping with quite a lot of them in full sun. Looks like they have really good drainage there.

o

heucheras photo May12013012_zpsdfa4e9ce.jpgMine are in pots. I do water them but they have survived two bad summers and winter doesn't bother them. I live in SW MO, Crystal Bridges in Bentonville or Rogers Ark. uses them in their landscaping.

o
Crystal Bridges Museum grounds

photo CrystalBridges006.jpg

o

I had some when I lived in Tulsa. They would look GREAT in the spring, and then die back, and came back in the fall.

Never got any again... they took to much babying.

Moni

o

I have had them a couple of times, but they didn't live more than a couple of years. I have trouble with shade plants though.

o

You have to divide them or they push up out of the ground. They are easy to divide. I have had different results with different varieties. The light yellow ones don't seem to be as tough for me. You grow them for the leaves so sometimes you have to clip off the ugly leaves. I don't think I have any plant that looks good all season. My hostas don't look good in the middle of summer. Day lilies are beautiful in June not so much late in summer. Spring bulbs have bloomed and now I have to put up with foliage. Heucheras look good as long as anything I grow. I don't put mine in full sun. They get some sun but are sheltered a part of the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here