Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

One little bright spot...

shankins123
10 years ago

My co-worker, who had gone to try to find her children yesterday, did find both of them! Our Clinical Director drove her to as close as they could get (15 minute drive, took 2 hrs). She walked the rest of the way in. Facts were slightly confused yesterday, but I spoke with her today. Her 8 yr-old daughter was rescued from Plaza Tower Elem., and her 6 yr-old son was found with his daycare group at a shelter next door to the flattened daycare building. Her husband was at work at the time of the tornado.
So...her family is intact, although her house and every possession is gone. They are staying with another relative for the time being, and trying to find out what sort of aid is available for them and how/where they can begin again.

Thank you for your continued prayers,

Sharon

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sharon, thanks for sharing her good news with us. I had been wondering if she did find both her kids. I know it must be so disheartening to lose their home and everything in it, but at least they all still have each other. Family is everything.

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

oh my goodness, Sharon, what a blessing!

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Thank goodness for that very bright note amidst the sea of darkness. There have actually been many heartwarming stories today. Donations are pouring in as well. The Kevin Durant foundation gave $1 mil., the Thunder matched, and Devon Energy gave $2.5 mil. That's just the big fish, not to mention the hundreds of thousands streaming in from us little folk.

One of our reps is preparing a Bill to introduce requiring mandatory shelters for all public schools. They must have heard a lot of people ranting about that one!

Susan

• p_mac
    10 years ago

Sharon - I understand all too well the frustration and pain. One of my sisters is/was the Adm. Asst to the Principal of Plaza Towers. She rode out the tornado under her desk...knowing my niece and nephew (HER KIDS!) were just a school away and she couldn't get to them. She is okay...but many scrapes, bruises and bumps. She's going to need some counseling because mentally - she's in much pain over the children that were lost at her school. My own grandson was at Fisher and was "lost" for a short time. The anguish of that short time was tremendous. My parents in Moore didn't know if they still had a home until this morning. It's just been flat out awful.

I personally want to thank you. I needed to hear some positives. I lost a dear friend at the 7-11 in Moore. So happy to hear some good news!!!

Paula (who's family is all accounted for)

• p_mac
    10 years ago

"Sometimes the most important things in life are not THINGS"

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Paula, So sorry to hear about your problems, but thankful that you still have your family. I will pray for all of you to find peace.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Susan, Thanks for the update on all the good news and generosity. I've mostly been out of pocket today and hadn't heard all that good news.

The bill to mandate storm shelters in schools (and dare I say that daycare facilities should be included, but I am sure they won't be) is long overdue. Better late than never, of course, but it grieves me that it took the deaths of innocent children to get a bill introduced.

Paula, Wow. Your family has had an incredibly bad week.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

I am grateful for every tidbit of good news each one of you has received, and will pray God gives you strength to deal with the bad and to help your friends and loved ones find peace and healing.

You know, a person has to be really strong to be an Okie.....and don't we all know that by now.

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Paula, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad you and your family are all safe!

Lisa

• miraje
    10 years ago

I only worry about how these mandatory storm shelters are going to be paid for. Some of these schools have many hundreds of kids, so to build a storm shelter to protect all of them will not be a trivial endeavor. Our local schools are already so strapped for cash. I hope that if the state passes such a mandate that they find a way to fund a substantial part of the cost. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra on my taxes to make it happen.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Paula.

This post was edited by miraje on Fri, May 24, 13 at 23:05