Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying bug eggs

Posted by telow 7a (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 19:21

I just came down from the garden and while I was there I stopped to look at my 2yr. old Santa Rosa plum tree. On one of the twigs I spotted an egg sack that was about 5/8 to3/4 inch long, about an 1/2 wide and a bronze color almost black. It looked solid like hardened glue. I don't know how to post a photo so, anyone got a guess?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying bug eggs

I have the same question, and I've been picking them off of MY Santa Rosa plum tree! Unfortunately, I picked them all off without thinking about taking a picture.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Well George, seems like we've got bugeggs heretofore never seen in the gardening world. Since no one has any idea whether these are good bugs or bad bugs I guess I will do like you did and destroy them.

o

I found one on a cherry tree today. I destroyed it too, although reluctantly, not knowing what it was. Anyone out there know what this egg pod was?

o

Do they look like the attached photo of Eastern Tent Caterpillar egg sacks?

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern Tent Caterpillar

o

At last.......thank you Susanlynne. I believe thats it.

o

That looks like what I found too. So I don't need to feel guilty about destroying it.

o

You're welcome, Telow! I had read that they were beginning to show up, so quickly looked them up to ID their egg cases.

No feeling guilty about these guys, Dorothy, for sure!

Susan

o

Here's hoping that trichogramma wasps help with tent caterpillars. I figured I should be destroying these, since I observed some twigs break off, right at the junction where the egg cases were laid.

We've had a regular plague of tent caterpillars and gypsy moths.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here