Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telow_gw

Identifying bug eggs

telow
11 years ago

I just came down from the garden and while I was there I stopped to look at my 2yr. old Santa Rosa plum tree. On one of the twigs I spotted an egg sack that was about 5/8 to3/4 inch long, about an 1/2 wide and a bronze color almost black. It looked solid like hardened glue. I don't know how to post a photo so, anyone got a guess?

Comments (8)

• Macmex
    11 years ago

I have the same question, and I've been picking them off of MY Santa Rosa plum tree! Unfortunately, I picked them all off without thinking about taking a picture.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• telow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well George, seems like we've got bugeggs heretofore never seen in the gardening world. Since no one has any idea whether these are good bugs or bad bugs I guess I will do like you did and destroy them.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

I found one on a cherry tree today. I destroyed it too, although reluctantly, not knowing what it was. Anyone out there know what this egg pod was?

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Do they look like the attached photo of Eastern Tent Caterpillar egg sacks?

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern Tent Caterpillar

• telow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At last.......thank you Susanlynne. I believe thats it.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

That looks like what I found too. So I don't need to feel guilty about destroying it.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Telow! I had read that they were beginning to show up, so quickly looked them up to ID their egg cases.

No feeling guilty about these guys, Dorothy, for sure!

Susan

• Macmex
    11 years ago

Here's hoping that trichogramma wasps help with tent caterpillars. I figured I should be destroying these, since I observed some twigs break off, right at the junction where the egg cases were laid.

We've had a regular plague of tent caterpillars and gypsy moths.

George

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts