Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help ID these trees?

Posted by Lisa2626 OKC (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:36

Hi, guys. This is my first post after many months of reading and learning.... much great information here!

There are two mysterious and kind of funky-looking trees growing near my house and I'm so intrigued with them, and want to find out what they are. One is in my neighbor's backyard, right across the fence, and another identical one is growing up from a compost pile about 15 yards to the east of the first tree. My neighbor has no idea what kind of tree his is; saying it just came up on its own a few years ago. I'm sure the one growing in the old compost pile did the same thing. I've never noticed flowers or fruit on either of them. They are deciduous and have unusual-looking green bark. My wild guess is that they're pawpaw trees, but this is probably wishful thinking since I have just ordered two of them and it would be wonderful to have two more trees to help pollinate! I'm attempting to post pics for you, but don't know how to do more than one at a time. Thanks in advance for helping solve this mystery!

This post was edited by Lisa2626 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help ID these trees?

Another pic

o

Cool green bark.

o

Yes, but I can't think of the name. My mom, OklaMoni, has one.

o

Please let me know if you recall what it's called. The mystery is driving me bats. :D

o

Saw this posted in the 'Most Recent ' column....it's Firmiana simplex, Chinese Parasol Tree.

o

Man, beat me to it....was combing through emails for the past three years. Chinese Parasol Tree.

o

Thanks so much! Oh dear - some quick reading shows it's considered an invasive species, too. Too bad it wasn't a pawpaw.

This post was edited by Lisa2626 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:53

o

Lisa, I don't know about invasive.... there is one in the Myriad gardens, and it is beautiful.

I planted mine, cause of the now deceased Loretta (used to have a gardening column in the daily Oklahoman). She had one in her yard, and I thought it was beautiful. Yes, there were three little ones here and there on her property.... but that would not be invasive either.

Rose of Sharon on the other hand comes up EVERYWHERE in my yard, and just gets pulled out, now that is invasive.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here