Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cncncrew

soaker hoses, newspaper vs. cardboard and wood mulch

cncncrew
14 years ago

Hi,

I'm so glad the forum is working again! I am learning so much from the discussions. All of you are so knowledgable.

I was blessed with several soaker hoses and some wood mulch. I was wondering if I should distribute the soaker hose and then put down the mulch on top of it or should I put the hose on top?

Also, I had heard that it is good to put down wet newspaper first and and then the wood mulch. Then I read that some people put cardboard down. Which is better?

Thanks in advance!

God Bless,

Connie

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Connie,

If you have enough soaker hoses to put them underneath the mulch, that's what I would you. You'll keep your moisture closer to the soil, so you'll lose less to evaporation and your hoses will last longer because they'll be sheltered from the direct rays of the sun.

Both newspaper and cardboard work just fine as a barrier underneath mulch. I use cardboard when I have it, and many layers of newspaper when I don't have cardboard. If you are trying to keep an agressive grass like bermuda grass or Johnson grass out of your pathways or beds, I have found heavy cardboard to be much more effective than newspaper. For run-of-the-mill small grassy weeds and broadleaf weeds, I think several layers (I like to use 12 to 16 sheets) of newspaper are effective enough.

Dawn

• slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

Connie,

One thing you may want to keep in mind, is if the soaker hoses have been used on well water like we have here they may not work very well. I have so much minerial in my well water that I had to switch to pvc pipe and just drill a small .045 dia. hole about every 6" and run on very low pressure.

I mulch on top of the pvc and take them up when I get ready to redo the garden ea. year.

Larry

• maubles
    14 years ago

Shekanahh,

I use a similar set-up as the one Larry described. I have found the in my case the pvc pipe to be more effective and cost efficient. I use 1/2" pvc and I buy it in 10 ft lengths. I use the cheapest pipe I can find, because the walls don't have to be really thick or anything super strong. I also invested in an inexpensive pipe cutter, just to save time over a hacksaw.

As for hooking it to the water hose, they make a threaded adapter just for that purpose. I have used a few, but for the most part, I use a regular pvc end that fits 1/2" pipe on one end and has 3/4" threads on the other with a quick connect system for the hose. Here are the pieces I use....

As for the rows, I think it depends on your water pressure. I can hook 2-3 rows together, depending on slope and distance from the spigot. I use tees and elbows as needed to connect the rows together. I cap the ends using normal pvc caps. The only parts I have glued together are the ends where I connect the hose, because there is quite a bit of twisting and pulling at that point, but I don't know that it is necessary. I leave the joints unglued so I can store everything for the winter and I leave the caps unglued so I can flush the pipes, if needed.
    Here are some pics of the garden from '07 where you can kind of see the layout.

At the end of the tomato row, there is the piece made specifically for water hoses, sorry I don't have a better pic.

I started with a 4 way manifold, then shorter hoses to all the rows, but I didn't have enough pressure for that. Last year, I changed the layout a little because the garden got bigger. So, it has taken some trial and error to get everything adjusted to work the way I wanted it to, but I think it has been worth it. I think last years set-up worked best, so if I ever get things sorted out this year, I think I will keep it the same way.

Oh, and here is a pic of the cutter.....

Michelle

• slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

Michelle,

Your setup is about the same as mine except mine is glued together along with hose fittings. I have a manifold made that runs along the side of the garden with short hoses for leaders with an adjustable "Y" at the end of the leader. Each leader feeds two rows. I adjust the ball valves in the "Y" to adjust water flow. My rows are only 24 ft. long so I can slide the whole assy. up under my house ( or some times just lay it over next to the fence)
    for storage.

To connect the hoses I glue 1/2 CPVC coupling to a short pc. of 1/2 cpvc pipe ( about 6" long). I slide a pc. of 5/8 water hose over the 1/2" cpvc pipe, glue and clamp. The 1/2 cpvc coupling will glue into a 1/2" pvc fitting which will fit schedule 40 or thin wall pipe.

To use the watering system I have all pipes connected to the manifold which is at line pressure ( 35 to 45 psi.).
    The ball valve is opened slightly to feed the pipes. I watered all my garden on one hose the past 2 years but may not be able to this year (I am adding 6 more rows). I leave each end of the pipe unmulched and the hole pointing up. I adjust the flow to where the water squirts from 1/2 to 3" up. I seldem have to adjust any thing through the summer. All this may change because of me adding another 150 feet of row lgth. this year. It it does I will make two manifolds and feed each from a "Y".

Larry

P.S. All 1/2" cpvc couplings wont fit into a 1/2" pvc fitting. You have to get the straight kind. The ones I use says charlotte ( I think ) on them and came from Ace Hardware.

• scottokla
    14 years ago

Great thread!!!

My current set-up is using plastic milk jugs that I collect through the spring and punching little holes in the bottom. Each plant gets a jug or two and the kids fill them a couple of times every few days as needed. It's a poor-man's set-up if there ever was one. It looks pretty ugly in the summer, but at least the kids get to help.

I think I will be making a trip to HD or Lowes pretty soon! That is a great idea for my raised beds that I had not thought of before for some reason.

• shekanahh
    14 years ago

Larry!
    I think you've just solved one of my biggest garden problems. I just zapped this thread over to my son's PC, but first I showed him how you did the couplings. He's getting the picture now, and agrees this will be our way out!
    I just priced 3/4" pvc at Lowes for .85 per 10ft. Not bad. Maybe I only need 1/2" pvc.
    This will take some figuring out. My well jet pump goes full out when I turn it on with unbelievable pressue, so something will have to be adjusted to lower it. Also, I am going to install the new 32 gal pressure tank to it this summer along with a timer that will allow for automatic watering for times when I'm gone.

Michelle, your set up looks really good, as well as your pretty area there. It looks like you have a nice healthy garden that should put plenty of food on the table for you and your family. Do you mulch over the pvc, or leave it as is? I was concerned about getting clogs from dirt and other debris. Thanks so much for sending the pics. I really enjoyed them and it gave me a good visual, just what I need to get rolling on this. My fall garden is going in soon, so I need to get this system up and running. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Scott, You and me both! I think this idea is so super and a great way to end the watering dilemma as well as conserve water. It seems it would be a lot healthier for the plants as well, not to have water splashed up on them. Well, yea, I suppose you could use this system in raised beds just as well. Hadn't thought of that...(yet). Raised beds do drain well but they dry out so fast in summer heat too. Still, you have to love em. I only have 2, but their my "babies"! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I can't thank you all enough for the great advice. This is such a good forum to live in! Shekanahh
  • slowpoke_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello Scott, I know all about poor man ways, been one all my life. I use 5 gal buckets the way you use the milk jugs on my bushes and small trees. Larry

• maubles
    14 years ago

Larry,
    I use the same Charlotte fittings and believe it or not, I also get mine at ACE Hardware.

Scott,
    I have used a set-up very similar to yours for trees and shrubs, it was a trick my Grandpa taught me.

Shekanahh,
    As far as mulch goes, I have great intentions, I keep planning and planning and planning. =)
    My intentions are to put newspaper down in the middles and mulch over it and up the rows and pipe, I just haven't been able to find the time.
    The only time I have found any holes plugged, was after I put it back together after winter. I didn't store them in a very good place and they got dirt in them then, but it cleared out fairly easily.

I also use a hose-end shut off that could be used to control the pressure if needed.

You're welcome for the pics, I know I tend to be a very visual person and sometimes it takes me seeing "it" before I get "it".

Michelle

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio