Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voiceofparadise_gw

Pepper Plants wilting!! Help!!!

VoiceofParadise
10 years ago

I have a pepper plant that I put out yesterday afternoon and kept out during the night and day today. Now the leaves are all wilted, but not dried out. It's a quadrato d'asti rosso, (sp? ). What do I do?

Comments (13)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

You have to figure out why it wilted.

Too wet?

Too dry?

Exposed to temperatures near 32 degrees? Remember that frost can form at air temperatures as high as 39 or even 40 degrees.

Too much wind?

Was the plant hardened off to the outdoors? You know that you cannot just move a plant outdoors if you've been keeping it indoors, right? It has to be gradually exposed to ever-lengthening periods of outdoor light/wind, starting at 1 hour the first day out, 2 hours the second day, etc.

Think about all those possibilities and see if any of them sounds like a possibility.

It could just be transplant shock, especially if the plant had gotten kind of big for its container and was rootbound. If it is transplant shock, it should recover but it might take it a few days.

It also could be a cutworm cut the main stem in half underground or right at the ground level. Check the stem to see if it is intact.

Dawn

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Dawn,

While we're discussing peppers I forgot to ask you. Did you harden off those plants I got from you? The reason I ask is because I've told you that I usually just throw em outside and expect them to look poor for a while before recovering but none of these did. Even with the sun out and temps in the high 70s yesterday they marched on like troopers... even the peppers.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Reed, Yes, I did harden them off. I was worried they might have regressed some because I kept carrying them back inside the house or into the greenhouse when our regular weekly cold fronts rolled in. They were on and out so many times it was ridiculous.

I am glad to hear they transplanted well, but I am not surprised. I knew they'd thrive in your care.

I finally put the rest of my tomato and all my sweet pepper plants into the ground yesterday, and will plant the hot peppers today. They transplanted well with no wilting even though it was sunny and warm. We hit 82 degrees yesterday after waking up to a chilly 38. I feel like it should be safe to plant peppers anywhere in OK from this point forward. Now that the cold weather has ended, all we have to worry about is hail.

Dawn

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Yeah, they're saying that there is a small chance we could get some later this week. Hopefully it doesn't happen. I've got plenty of backup plants in the garage, should I lose some though.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I put 18 tomatoes in the ground yesterday, 18 peppers today, and then gave away all my leftover plants. I dont need any more frost or hail.

Larry.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I too am planted and gave away my extras. There is just room for 3 more tomatoes I hope to find in Denton this weekend.
    Kim

• VoiceofParadise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's just shock, they were hardened off before but then all this freezing weather forced them inside. I brought them back in, what else can I do to repair them?

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I hope Dawn or one of the others can tell you how to doctor the plant, I will only tell you that you are not alone, I dont do well at all trying to hold plants in any kind of container. I do much better by getting them into the ground (weather permitting)

Larry

• VoiceofParadise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish I could put them in the ground but my soil is too sandy and rocky. And we're not planning on staying at this house so I don't want to invest in preparing the soil or raised beds.

I hope someone can help me too. :-)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

VoiceofParadise, Are they still wilted? Have they improved at all since you first saw the wilting? All you can do to help them is keep them in good light but not out in direct sunlight while they are wilted. If they are too wet, just let them dry out. If they are too dry, give them enough water to make them moist but not soggy.

The best tonic I know of for a plant that is looking sickly is to feed it with liquid seaweed plant food or with alfalfa tea. Both contain growth hormones that often perk up plants that seem to be beyond saving.' I also like to use liquid fish, but don't recommend it for indoor plants because of the odor, or for outdoor plants if you have neighborhood raccoons.

Mostly you just have to wait and give it a chance to get better. It it stays wilted for long, it isn't going to recover. All plants have a specific wilt point that, once they reach it, they cannot recover. I believe that wilt point is specific to the kind of wilt associated with lack of moisture.

Are they in the permanent container in which they are going to be grown and, if so, what sort of soil-less mix did you use?

Dawn

• VoiceofParadise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn, yes they are still wilted, I covered them with a mesh cover and left them out today. They don't look any better but they also don't look worse. I gave them water but not enough to make them soggy. They are not in the permanent container, I want to transfer them this week but not if it will make the situation worse. I have them inside now where they will get plenty of light tomorrow.

• VoiceofParadise
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have survived and look really healthy!

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

I have to admit that I don't have the patience for a slow, gradual hardening off like Dawn does. But I have never had problem with my own method so far. Now I did have them out for 2 or 3 days and then we had the most recent cold spell during which I did bring them back inside. I take them out and put them all huddled together so they can help keep each other warmer, between my big ole dense pine, the honeysuckle tree and the porch. They are exposed to the west and slightly on the east property line. They get some breezes and a couple hours of Sun. No scald so far, nor have I ever had any. They've been there 2-3 days. Tomorrow they get moved into a more open area for about 4 hours of Sun for the same amount of time, and then they will be planted or potted out.. That's the short and sweet of it. I especially don't have time to delay the process any longer since I am so late due to weather issues this year. I do have to closely monitor them because between the wind and warm temps, they dry out quickly.

My hands are so sore today from pulling weeds and digging weeds.....the Bermuda and Dallis grass! But the garden beds are looking so.much better than they have in years!

Susan

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals