Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus

Posted by OSUEngineer 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 21:30

This has been the best year for my asparagus yet. When should I stop harvesting it and let it go to a fern? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus

It depends on how old your crowns are, but the rule of thumb (finger) is that when the spears that emerge are smaller than your index finger you should stop. My 25 year old bed wasn't weeded of seedling asparagus as well as it should have been over the years and I pick a lot of spears half that size. I always stop about the first of June even though many of the emerging spears are bigger than my index finger.

o

Whoops! I told you wrong. As I was picking my asparagus this morning I realized that the rule is "Pick any spear as big as or bigger than a #2 pencil." I pick spears that are very small for the reason I stated. Many spears in my bed ARE bigger than my index finger, but that's not the rule.

o

I need to grow this. Asparagus and rhubarb always remind me of home. I miss them.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 17:11

This seems opposite of what you would expect to be asked but what is the best way to rid the garden of asparagus. Reason I ask is my aunt had planted some in my new to me garden and its coming up in places Id rather it not be. If it continue to harvest the areas where I dont want it and do not let it fern will it eventually die off?
It does taste better than any store bought, its just in the wrong spot.

Mike

o

Mike, it all depends on the age of the crowns how quickly you can kill it by picking continuosly. If they are small crowns, it might be faster to just dig it up--small meaning no more than 2-3 years old. Older than that you can eventually kill it by never letting it fern. May take more than one year.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 8, 14 at 20:04

Thanks mulberry. I believe this is season 4. Thanks for the tips.

o

Mike, I allowed people to come dig some crowns that were almost 20 years old. The ones who took me seriously about watering over the summer had theirs live. 4 year old crowns should be diggable. Maybe you can give them away for the digging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here