Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyoshak

seed-saving legislated?

AlyoshaK
10 years ago

Hey Gang, it's been a while since I've posted, but since there are some serious gardeners and seed-savers here I thought I'd mention something a friend just sent me from the Natural News site. The European Commission is seeking to legislate non-governmentally sanctioned seeds. Sounds unbelievable but is apparently real. Do you think this could eventually happen here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Criminalizing Seeds

Comments (11)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thats crazy!

Isn't something similar already happening to big farmers using Monsanto seeds? not government regulated but still a control I Dont think they could ever regulate the backyard grower.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:15

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Did we naively think that the whole Monsanto issue was an anomaly?
    Apparently it is not.
    Power, Sex, Money...well, they'll have 2 out of 3 if all this goes through.
    Kind of gives the term "guerilla gardener" a whole new meaning, doesn't it?

Sharon

• Macmex
    10 years ago

In Europe they started with a registry of recognized varieties, back in the 80s. Any variety not recognized became illegal for commercial sale. Topweight was an EXCELLENT English carrot which disappeared due to "the registry." They're only progressing on the trajectory set some decades ago.

I would hope Americans' default position wouldn't be "this is an unregulated area which should be controlled by the government;" but rather "Who do you think you are to try and regulate this? You have no right!"

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• soonermook
    10 years ago

when congress headed by Sen Baccus from Montana passed bill 510. This bill even had legislation containing what kind of plants you can have and grow in your garden. The FDA hired more employees to enforce this policy. I f the FDA check your garden and you could not verify, have a receipt for the purchase of said plants....they are pulled or a fine.

Also in this bill was to make it illegal for gardeners to sell produce form markets or street side. Our Sen Coburn had those 2 things taken out of the this bill....but as always the Progressives will add this in time!
    http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/rightnow?ContentRecord_id=8df5cb89-91a2-4ae3-b846-7487db0bd4f0

The bottom line they want you to buy plants from commercial growers, and buying your produce from grocery stores.

• ReedBaize
    10 years ago

Crud like this is why I'm a HARDLINE Libertarian.

• soonermook
    10 years ago

me too, ReedBaize!!! Control all about...so save those seeds
    BoB

• AlyoshaK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, save those seeds, and also make sure and call/write your representative frequently. They know for every one person that picks up a phone or writes an email there are 100 like-minded voters who don't. It makes a big difference.

• Julie717
    10 years ago

I don't think that is really a progressive thing, more of a money-grubbing thing. I consider myself more of a liberal, and I would never support something like that. (Baucus is definitely not a progressive nor a liberal, by any measure.)

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Julie, that is a point well taken. This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue. It is more like a right vs. greed issue. There is no other, real motive behind such moves than greed.

George

• soonermook
    10 years ago

All I wanted to say on my post that there is a bill...who authored the bill and that we had a Senator from the great State Oklahoma was responsible for striking some real bad legislation within the bill. Did not put a (D) OR (P) IN front of any names.

Yes it is greed and bad law has been passed and it will rear it's nasty head again.

I have learned a lot in this blog, thanks!
    BoB

• scottokla
    10 years ago

Almost all you read about these things is misleading. Part of it is an arrogance on the part of some people in government that makes them think they know what is best for everyone, and part of it is just a conspiracy mindset on the part of other people that think many corporations or governments are out to steal everything.

Primarily the problem is that groups of people with agendas push misleading information in order to get the masses riled up and turned against the ones the agenda-driven people don't like. Pink slime is a perfect example of this IMO.

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm