Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

My informally formal garden.

wbonesteel
10 years ago

We lost a few spring potatoies and some green beans a couple weeks, back. Frosty was here. Other than that, things have been going pretty well. No pests, to speak of, either...yet.

Flowers: Iris, blazing star, gladiolus(sp), a few holly hocks, allysium (ornamental onions). A few lavender plants, plus lavender seeds planted that will hopefully sprout a couple weeks from now. We also have a couple of new rose bushes. Also planted allysum, but we'll see how those do. (about a thousand bulbs, all together.)

Veggies: Snow peas, not doing so great this year. Spring taters, several varieties. Carrots, plus a couple of varieties of lettuce, spinach, jumbo and regular garlic. A few green beans, seven tomatoes, 40 strawberries, five beds with Mary Washington and Purple Passion asparagus, rosemary, thyme, chocolate mint and spearmint. Yellow and white onions. A few radishes. Plus, collard greens, chives, sage, basil, oregano and cilantro have all been planted.

We also have semi-espaliered apple, peach and cherry trees.

The work on this garden has all been done with hand tools. The first year, we added a lot of amendments. Last year, we harvested two freezers full of food. This year, we'll finish up the mulch and mebbe begin to build boxes around the raised beds. This fall, hopefully, we'll buy the rest of our permanent plants.

The weather's been a bit cool, but kinda dry. The soil in the garden is holding moisture in this cooler weather, though.

pic of what it looked like a couple days ago.

Comments (13)

• ponderpaul
    10 years ago

VERY Nice!

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

That is beautiful, thanks for sharing the picture.

Larry

• joellenh
    10 years ago

That's BEAUTIFUL!

Jo

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

It looks gorgeous! I'm glad you have it right out front where everyone can see it. Your beautiful and productive garden might inspire other folks in your neighborhood to take up gardening!

Dawn

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. It was a lot of hard work. About $1500 bucks has been invested in amendments, plants, edging and such. In two years ROI, it's already paid for itself.

Every square foot has some form or amount of amendment in it. It was mostly yellow clay, to begin with. Most of the compost -nearly a ton of it- came from our own compost heaps. I usually have three or four compost heaps working.

We do get a lot of 'lookie-loos' driving by. About once or twice a month someone will stop and visit and look it over.

The goal is to get every square inch of it into production, while looking good, too. Sod, hopefully, well eventually be replaced with creeping thyme, corsican mint and such.

This project hasn't been accomplished overnight. It wasn't an instant landscape. But, a little here, a little there, and it's starting to look pretty good. Plus, tasty, fresh veggies, now and then...and filling the freezers, of course. I'm basically planting or harvesting year around, down here in Stephens County. Takes a little planning and taking some chances, but it's worked out well for us, so far.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! And you're so fortunate not to live in a neighborhood that forbids vegetables in the front yard. But I am curious to know if you've had any veggies disappear when you weren't watching. 18 years ago my daughter had a small garden in a streetside yard in Denver and the cucs and pole beans disappeared. She caught the culprits one day. It was a pair of brothers--about 4 and 6--who were picking and eating them raw. Daughter hated to say anything as the boys looked like they weren't well taken care of.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a relatively small town. I just figured that the back yard was too small and really belongs to my wife's dogs. The front yard was big enough, but...If I were going to put in an edible landscape, I'd make it look good. No one is going to holler if I make it look nice. That was part of the thinking.

The other part is that when we bought this place, the drainage in the front yard and driveway all ran to the foundation of the house. I had to change that w/o changing the overall direction of which way the runoff drained. In the process of getting the runoff to drain away from the foundation, I ended up with this garden.

The overall drainage on the lot runs south by southeast. I didn't change that, nor did I make it run north by northwest or something equally stupid. The overall drainage still runs south by southeast. I'm not flooding someone else's property, nor is theirs now flooding ours. That's about the only landscaping code I have to deal with, here.

In short, I didn't ask anyone's permission. otoh, I've done this sort of landscaping in years past, in locations where the codes were somewhat more...stringent. So, I already knew my limits and had some idea of industry standards.

- and I'd learned which way the locals in this town leaned, so to speak. Plus, the landscaping was a real mess when we moved in, and it is now well on the way to being extraordinary. If I'd just laid out a traditional garden with rows, people might have a right to holler a bit. Instead, I went for well-landscaped and extraordinary.

The only problems we've had wrt others in our front garden were feral dogs, cats and kids. That's no longer much of a problem. The biggest problem has been from that damn squirrel, getting our tomatoes before they're ready to harvest. He'll be on the menu, if he keeps it up this year.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden! I hate those tree rats, too.

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

totally AWESOME!!! I really really like it. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Moni

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, thank you for the compliments. I sincerely appreciate it.

I'm going to share two of the sketches and drawings for this garden, if you don't mind too much. I did have a plan! Of course, while everything's still going according to plan, the original schedule is shot to hell. 'Flexibility' is a word I've had to learn to appreciate with this garden....

The point of this is that almost any kind of garden takes a little bit of planning. With a more formal design, more planning is necessary...even if - and when - your schedule gets shot to hell.

Oh...the main garden is 63 feet long by 33 feet wide. The driveway is fourteen feet wide at its narrowest and 23 feet wide at its widest, just to give some context and perspective. All together, on this small 1/4 acre lot, we have somewhere around 2400 sq ft of beds.

{{!gwi}}

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This pic is of the original planting diagram for the permanent plants.

This was the next to last draft.

Most of these plants still need to be bought and planted. I hope to begin that process this fall, or no later than next spring. Until then, I'll use those beds for veggies.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

Your garden is really nice. It gives me some ideas too for my new place.
    Kim

• shankins123
    10 years ago

I like that very much! Congratulations on seeing the fruits of your planning and hard work. I have things I'd like to do in my back yard, but...they're still floating around in my head, sometimes appearing on paper :-)

As for your squirrel...be glad there's only one! My dad set a live trap last year and caught 14 (which he carefully relocated to more appropriate surroundings). This is in a regular OKC neighborhood. I'm in The Village and have plenty as well...may have to borrow his trap this year and see if it makes a difference in having my green tomatoes nibbled on and drug across my lawn (!)

Sharon