Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root Starting Question

Posted by p-mac 7a (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 22:42

A VERY dear friend of mine in the MWC area gave me cuttings of 2 types of thyme. One is the creeping type that I've searched all over to find. The other is what she called "lavendar thyme". I desperately would love to grow each of these. To have her share this with me is so important. She's semi-retired from Boeing and has been a mentor of mine for almost 20 years. I really, really, really want to keep these going. How do I do it?

I have powdered rooting hormone. Do I use that? I suspect so because none of the healthy branches have apparent "roots"...although she told me to just stick them in the dirt and they would grow. I'm keeping them for the "thyme" being with their bare cuts in moist paper towels, and then into a gallon zip-lock as closed as I can with out totally cutting off any air. Any advice? Thnx in advance.

Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root Starting Question

I'd stick them in good potting soil and keep them moist. They'll root. However, I doubt that your rooting hormone could be anything but beneficial.

George

o

I agree with George. I don't see how using a rooting hormone ever could harm cuttings you're trying to root.

o

I have good luck using a rooting aquarium. Or if I don't have that much to root I'll use a plastic container with soil* in it on a heat mat and plastic wrap draped over the top. I don't worry about drainage since they're just in it for a short time. Most things will have roots in a couple of weeks. Although my Hoya obovata took about 9 months... I finally potted it up last weekend.

*By soil, I mean something sterile with fine particles. I've used the dusty bits from the Green Country Pine Mulch bag, sphagnum, potting soil, coconut fiber reptile bedding (this actually works the best for me), etc.

Thanks for posting this thread, Paula. You reminded me of some things I've been meaning to take cuttings from and root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here