Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somethings eating my palm

Posted by outlaw_gardener 7b OK (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 23:02

I bought a non-hardy palm from Wal-Mart a week ago for my front porch. I noticed today something is eating the leaves. I'm not familiar with growing these. Any idea what to use to kill the pest that is eating on the leaves?
Thanks!
Rodney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somethings eating my palm

ive been lurking the palm forum and they have some good people there. You might try and post there as well. On a side note all the lowes in tulsa are selling very large cold hardy palms for 50-75 percent off, depending which store you go to.

o

Is it a parlor palm? Have you seen a white cat around your house? Lol, have a cat that for some reason loved parlor palms, after I saw it nibbling at it, I had to put those outside. They weren't safe around him, he ate one to little twigs (it was a little one). Never got sick from it, thank the Lord.

o

Rodney,
if there are chunks eaten out of the leaves, perhaps grasshoppers. If the leaves are turning yellow, flip a leaf over and check the underside of the leaf for little tiny dots and webbing. This is spider mites. Palms are magnets for them. Spray with Kelthane every few days, as it is very difficult to get rid of them. Good Luck!

Jeanie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here