Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bug bite or sting

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 23:03

What could be an insect (bug or spider) that would start stinging or biting, and would continue stinging or biting until I got inside, but I never felt it going up my leg.

I have had this in the past, and wonder what it is. The injury is a welt that measures 3/4 inch diameter. Whatever it was made it to the top back of my leg near elastic before it began biting. It is a decent red color and is somewhat swollen. The itching is awful.

My guesses are fire ant or chiggars. (chigger) There is only one welt and when I felt it, I tried to grab it through my pants, but never was able to feel what it was, and could not stop the stinging. (That lets out a blister beetle.)

It felt about like a mosquito bite, but continued biting. When I looked for bites online earlier today, I couldn't tell what it could be.

Do any of you have a guess? I was wearing capri pants, so it really traveled. I knew I should have worn my boots and sprayed them with Off before I went into that area. It was not that weedy, but I saw many ants and other critters.

Are any of you good with bugs? It really itches.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bug bite or sting

It sounds like chiggers, but I've never had just one chigger. If I have one, I have two dozen....and right now I have a lot.

o

This has happened to me for a couple of years, and I cannot figure out what to watch for.

The unusual thing is that when it bites or stings, it only hurts as much as a mosquito bite, but does not stop until I can get to it. It burned or stung all the time while I was walking quickly to get inside. Once inside where I could try to find the critter, it was gone - I must have wiped it away as I was removing the pants.

For this reason, I wonder about fire ants. I was at the top of the hill that goes down to the creek. I think I would have felt a beetle or blister beetle. I suddenly get chiggers, but don't feel them.

There are some bugs I am not familiar with that could be culprits.

Thanks Dawn. I also understand that wearing jeans to work could have annoyed the bump.

Sammy

o

Sammy,

Fire ants usually leave a little raised up pustule that is sometimes whitish in color but also sometimes red or pink. We have a friend who is highly allergic to fire ant bites, and on him they leave a large reddish-purple welt type thing that makes it look like he has red grapes under his skin.

It is that time of the year. This week I've been bitten by a wasp, a couple of fire ants, a whole slew of chiggers as I was weed-eating along our south fenceline (a pasture with plants 3' to 4' tall and taller are on the other side of the fence) and some mosquitoes. I'm having an itchy week here.

Dawn

o

We have a flying red ant-type thing here, that has sort of cupped round black wings, and it stings like the devil when it bites. It also hangs on and keeps biting for a long time. Maybe something like that which flew away?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here