Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmy3afhounds

Passiflora - Passion Vine

luvmy3afhounds
13 years ago

Hi all,

This is the first year of 15 or so years that my passion vine has not come back (pictured below). Normally it volunteers all over the yard & comes back where I grew it on fences & trellis. Not a sign of it. We had the fifth coldest winter on record in Tulsa & I am wondering if that is why it is not back? It was the purple flower (no fruit) that is normally hardy here in OK. Has anyone else experienced this with your passion flower??? I sure am going to miss it!!!

Thanks & happy gardening!

Joyce

{{gwi:543311}}

Comments (11)

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Our wild passion flowers are still trying to take over the universe. We do get fruit off of ours, by the way. We're down in the SE corner so probably didn't get as cold as you?

Diane

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Mine has not poked its head up yet either, but don't give up hope. I have had a year here or there where it hasn't shown up until June, which is around the corner. I won't give up hope until the 1st of July. Mine is P. 'Lavendar Lady', that I've had for 11 years.

I have the species to plant out yet - P. incarnata - which is a native here in Oklahoma and very hardy. That looks like what you have, but it could be a hybrid of it. Sometimes the hybrids, depending on the cross parent, are not as hardy as the other species it has been crossed with. They are easily found at mail order retailers, but can be somewhat pricey. Sellers also offer seeds, but I don't recommend them, they are very difficult to germinate.

Passiflora caerulea is also another hardy species, with white blooms, and one of her hybrids, 'Constance Elliott'.

I grow my passion vines for the Gulf Fritillary butterflies. It is their larval host plant. If I don't have them this year because I don't have a passion vine that is large enough to support them, I will be disappointed for sure.

I also grow another passion vine, P. lutea, which is also very hardy. It is not as rampant as most passion vines, and not nearly as ornamental. It has small yellow flowers.

If you live in the city, you might find them locally at either TLC or Precure. Precure carries P. caerulea, and I believe I saw some of the purples at TLC at one time. If you are growing yours for the butterflies, though, don't buy the red flowering variety as it is toxic to them.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

I didn't think mine were coming back, but yesterday I did notice the one on the south foundation of the house had a tiny vine. I haven't seen the other ones pop up yet. Mine were all new last year, I've been concerned too....but I knew Susan said hers come up in June sometimes.

Lisa

• luvmy3afhounds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! I will hold out hope that they return.
    ***Diane*** what color or type are your passion vines? Cool that you get fruit!!!

***Susan***I don't know where I got the seeds for mine originally. I do have one I started from seed late last year that I over wintered in a pot in the garage. I won't know what it is until it blooms. I am going to check out the other varieties that you mentioned to see if I can find the seeds. I don't know if it would be too late to start them now or not? I am in Tulsa & am not aware of any places that carry these seeds. Good luck with yours & I will keep a watch out for mine to come back!
    ***Lisa*** I sent you a start of mine last year. I hope it returns for you!!! Happy gardening!
    Joyce

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Joyce, you will probably have to order the seeds from an online source. Now that I have checked the passi's out, I believe yours is 'Incense'. Zone 9 Tropicals carries a few passi plants and they are in Texas, the closest to us. Unfortunately, they are out of it.

Another good source is Grassy Knoll. She has tons of passi's and all are $15 each. Be sure to check the hardiness of them all because many are too tropical for us, unless you plan to overwinter them indoors/greenhouse.

Its great you were able to grow yours from seed.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Joyce...you know what...I think it IS yours that returned! I put it up next to the house to protect it more. How cool that yours is the one, so far, that has returned. The Gulf Frits loved it last year!

Lisa

• annainok
    13 years ago

My passion vine is growing all over the place, as usual. If you want, I can send you a start.

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Joyce, I've no idea what type it is. It's just one that grows wild here. It's forever trying to choke out my garden so I have to keep ripping them out. I've linked a (crappy) pic of one I took a few years ago below.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful:

• annainok
    13 years ago

My passion vines never come up before the end of May, first of June, and the wild ones out in the field come up even later!

Anna

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Diane, I believe yours is actually the native, Passiflora incarnata. It is a wild one, too. But, I plant it for the Gulf Frits as I said earlier. Believe me, they eat it to the nub every year, but I love having those beautiful orange/silver butterflies in the garden. Such a happy sight.

The passion flowers that we grow in Oklahoma, if they do produce fruit, are not usually as edible as the ones actually grown for their fruit and which are not hardy here. They can be grown in large pots. P. edulis is one of these that is particularly grown for fruit production.

That is about as much knowledge as I have regarding them. Only a few are hardy here, and except for P. cearulea and P. incarnata, most are "borderline" vines.

Susan

• luvmy3afhounds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the great info! Maybe there is hope that it will return!

***Anna*** thanks for your generous offer. I sent you a PM.
    ***Lisa*** hope all of yours return for your butterfly friends!
    ***Diane*** I wonder if yours might be the same variety as mine?
    ***Susan*** I get butterflies on mine but they don't eat it to a nub like you said.
    Thanks so much for your wealth of info!!!!
    Take care!
    Joyce

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz