Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

I'm back--w/neglected gardens with itchy stuff--ID please?

plaidthumb
12 years ago

I haven't posted anything, or for that matter, done anything in my vegetable or flower gardens (weed sanctuaries) for 2 or 3 years. Long story, life got in the way, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, we plan to sell in a couple of years and get out of here. I can't take the summer heat anymore. It just does me in.

The vegetable area is no big deal. Just pull up the borders, kill everything and let the bermuda weeds take over.

I know I have "something" in the front flower beds that rips me up--poison ivy-style breakouts, itchiness, swelling. I thought I knew which plant it was, but experience says otherwise. I purchased some IvyBlock, which helped immensely, but all I have to do is walk by the garden and I start to itch...

So, here's some pics--can anyone tell me which of these plants is the culprit?

Thanks!

Dang! Forgot how to post pics...

Comments (18)

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haven't figured out how to get them to show up. Just copy where it says http and paste it into the address bar, I guess. It works, but there is probably something I'm doing wrong that is keeping the pics from showing up.

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is it something in this mess?

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I "think" this is it, but not sure...

What the ??? I used the same process for this pic as I used for the one above, but this one doesn't show up???? Dang, I just llloooovvvvvvvvvvvve computers!

• p_mac
    12 years ago

Winter creeper...it's the oak like looking leaves...but you have some that looks like creaping vinca....and a few oak trees in there too.

Sorry this climate is too difficult for you. Hopefully you'll get to one of the other 4 extremes that works for you! Spring in OK in a challenge for any one that is allergy prone.

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Your #6 picture: It looked like you closed your image location with with a # sign by mistake and your picture didn't show up.

You can avoid posting problems by reviewing your post before you submit. Each time you post it gives you a preview screen and everything will function there just like it will in the completed 'posted' message. If you picture doesn't show up there, then it won'g show up on the posting. You can preview the pic if you put the link in the URL block.

I think they teach the Scouts - "Leaves of three, let it be". Here are some pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

I agree. Poison ivy. We have it everywhere.

Whatever you do, don't throw it on a brush pile and burn it because that releases the oil into the air. A friend of mine inhaled the air (probably actually inhaled the smoke) while they were burning a brush pile that included poison ivy and she got poison ivy in her lungs, which I didn't even know was possible.

In addition to the IvyBlock you can buy a type of handwashing/scrubbing forumula that you can use to wash with after you've made accidental contact with poison ivy. I always have both it and the IvyBlock here. We found them both, or at least the original Technu formulas for them both, in either 1997 or 1998 before we built our house here when we were spending the weekends clearing the perimeter of our property to put in a barbed wire fence around the whole piece of acreage. We had poison ivy with 'trunks' as big as your wrist.

When we are removing poison ivy, I always wear nitrile surgical gloves under cheap cotton gardening gloves (because I am going to throw them away after I'm through handling that poison ivy) for double protection, and wear long sleeves and long pants. The poison ivy from our woodland persistently creeps into the northwest corner of my veggie garden every couple of years, so I have lots of experience with it, unfortunately.

It's good to see you here again, Plaid thumb!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: TechNu Poison Ivy Scrub

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dawn--you're still here! You were so helpful when I was active before. Good to see you're still around.

The worst part of this stuff is the more you're around it, the more susceptible your are to it. At least it's been that way for me. And the burning thing? Yeah, I've experienced that too. Used to work next to a BBQ joint that thought using green wood gave an extra flavor component to the meat... And you can pick up the oil from the roots, also...

Have you had any luck killing the stuff?

Grandma--thanks, I think. I'm quite aware of the preview option (which may or may not show images--depends on the forum software), and of leaflets three. Unfortunately, that hasnt' been of much use. And by the way, in the FAQ covering posting pictures, no mention is made of using the URL link in the box below where I'm typing. And since the image that DID show up was not done in that manner, there is something else going on.
    Maybe this will work?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What I need is an ID of which one of these it is, if possible. Knowing the saying obviously hasn't been successful for me in figuring out which plant it is.

Anybody care to take a stab at highlighting which one I should be avoiding?

I would prefer to put the pic in the body of the message because a lot of people wont' click on unknownn links due to the possibilities of inviting unknown nasties into their computer
    Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• oldbusy1
    12 years ago

top left corner and bottom center in the picture. Also the largest of the leaves in the picture.

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I thought it was the vine at the top of the 5th post. The five leaf vine climbing on the rock wall is Virginia Creeper.

The problem with saying 'this is it' is that poison ivy roots can be growing feet away from where you are seeing the leaves, and you can grab the vine without realizing it. Good luck with your removal and I hope you can do it without the dermititis this time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Creeper

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Plaidthumb,

Yes, I am still here. lol Not planning on going anywhere else despite the heat, which does bother me more the older I get. I just greatly reduce the number of hours I spend outside in June, July and August and try to get outside as soon as possible after sunrise, back inside before noon, and then sometimes back out in the late evening. Less hours outside in the summer months means nothing stays as well-weeded, but I just do the best I can. I'm not going to kill myself working out in the extreme summer heat. It isn't worth it.

That's true about repeated exposure to poison ivy just making things worse. My DH grew up around it so was exposed to it for many years and is more sensitive to it than I am. I wasn't around it much growing up so am much less sensitive to it now.

We don't try to kill it. Just try to cut it back from pathways and keep it out of the garden. I mostly keep it out of the garden by cutting it back to the ground and then spraying it with a brush killer labeled for poison ivy as soon as it resprouts. It doesn't reallly kill it, but it knocks it down pretty hard for a few months. With 14.5 acres, most of which is heavily wooded, we'll never be rid of it so we just try to keep it back from the paths through the woods, and out of the garden.

The plant in your "viney thing" photo is Virginia Creeper. Note the arrangement of 5 leaves instead of 3. It is very aggressive but, as far as I know, not poisonous. I pull it out of my garden with my bare hands and it hasn't caused me any sort of allergy-type reaction, but we have let it grown in the shrub bed on the north side of the house, and all throughout the woods as well.

Your last photo is the dreaded poison ivy. We have a couple of different kinds here. There is one that climbs strictly by climbing/vining and it is always obvious because of its very hairy roots. There is another one that grows more like a tree and it is everwhere along the pasture fencerows here that are left in their natural state instead of being sprayed with Roundup or weedeated periodically.

Dawn

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Virginia Creeper is not poisonous, but the sap of the plant contains oxalate crystals and can cause skin irritation and rashes in some people.

• seedmama
    12 years ago

PlaidTHUMB,

The way to distinguish poison ivy from other "leaflets of three" is, get this, the THUMB. Hold your hand flat out in front of you, palms down, with your fingers and thumb all together. See how your thumb keeps it from being a perfect teardrop shape? Now look at the three leaf plants pointed out to you. There is always a subtle "thumb" protrusion on poison ivy, and it comes in both left hand and right hand version. So sorry you have it.

Tulsarose is correct that 5-leaflet Virginia Creeper is not poisonous, but can cause a rash on some of use similar to poison ivy. Some people mistakenly refer to it as poison ivy. Technically, it isn't, but when you're the one with the maddening oozy rash, pity the poor soul who wants to argue technicalities.

I get a worse reaction from Virginia Creeper than I do from poison ivy.

• telow
    12 years ago

Around here we call the form that doesnt climb poison oak.Dawn is correct in saying its the non-climbing form of poison ivy. Look in the crotch or y of two limbs and you will see BB sized white berries which is another good way to identify it. Ive never owned an acrage that didnt have it in central ok. If you spray it to kill it remember the sap can still get you when it appears dead so be careful digging it out.

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry about my lack of response. Life just keeps getting in the way, it seems...

Thank you to all who responded. It feels good to have the modern version of the "back fence" to talk about things.

Seedmomma--the "thumb" info is greatly appreciated! It really pinpoints the ID.

I'm slowly making my way through the main front bed. I've just been hitting small areas with Round Up, then burning them off once the area is dead. May be a bit unorthodox, but it appears to be working. I have Monkey Grass (or some relative thereof) that keeps trying to take over. Had it under control until I ignored the bed for a year or two.

I've redone the bed at the front porch with the exception of convincing a small bit of bindweed that it needs to die.

• chickencoupe
    12 years ago

Noticed it right away. We have such an abundance of it this year, too. Only thing I would EVER touch with RoundUp and it did work on the poison ivy and such. We have both the ivy and the bush type which I've seen get up to six feet tall along fence lines. Like the fence one I was clearing out one year. Pulled them straight out with my bare arms standing down-wind from a five footer that was POLLINATING. I thank god I am not allergic. I STILL had to see the doc to get relief. It was horrid. Have had no problem identifying it ever since then!!