Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Do Y'all Remember Everything We Discussed...

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

Before the weather went nuts today.....

We had so many pleasant topics of discussion: beans, tomatoes, rain, soil, flowers, broccoli, fruit, the swing set recycled....etc.

Then the weather went crazy and suddenly it feels like it has been 100 years of nervousness compressed into one day.

I'm glad so many have checked in to let everyone know they are okay, but many others have not and I sure hope they're all alright too.

Maybe tomorrow we can start over again with a nice normal day and have some garden talk, at least until the weather starts misbehaving.

My heart is filled with gratitude that so many of our extended garden family survived some really dicey weather.

In the morning, we'll look at the NWS website and see what's in the forecast yet again.

Dawn

Comments (7)

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

We are safe at home in Grove tonight and feel safe for the night, at least. We were in Osage County in an RV last night during a bad thunder storm and I was NOT anxious to do that again tonight. It looks like it is worse tonight so I am happy to be at home.

I feel sad that so many have lost so much, but also grateful for the advanced technology that gives us warning.

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

I was thinking about posting some more pics of the garden and such, but with the other, more serious and more important discussions going on (life and death being kind of important), I didn't want to get off topic or look like a *completely* self-centered jerk. ;)

It was hot and windy, here in Duncan. That was it, for us.

As for the rest of ya? I'm glad that you're all ok and haven't been hurt.

• okiehobo
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    "Never" have I seen a spring like this one, I still have not got to till my garden, just as it starts to dry out, it rains again.
    It's not that so much" rain has falling here, it's just that its come a good soak-er about every week and a half on a regular basis ever since February.
    As you can tell by the drought map, here in hartshorne in eastern OK, we no longer have drought problems.

I have a couple of small raised beds where I planted some broccoli and cauliflower, but just before the heads got the right size they bolted. radishs are the only thing left and they are starting to look like a turnip patch from growing so fast.
    I have strawberrys in 4x60 raised bed and they are the only bright spot, they are really producing, but they are not very sweet, I guess because of all the water.
    Maybe the weather will settle down in time to plant a fall garden, If not, there's always next year.

James.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, I am glad you are home close to your storm shelter. I cannot imagine being in the RV during severe weather. The photos and video we saw of the demolished trailer park last night was sobering. It reminded me very much of Lone Grove after the EF-4 tornado hit it a few years back.

I am appreciative of all the technology too. The storm spotters sure had these storms figured out even before they really started developing and were in place to provide incredible video and lots of warning for folks who were watching and listening to them. Some of them were closer to storms than I've ever seen them before. Once Reed's family had to seek shelter, Tim, Chris and I did nothing but track the storms via media and chaser reports, each using some tech device. The TV was on The Weather Channel, which used lots of KFOR's live reports, we were in constant communication with friends affected by the storm via smartphones, and all three of us had our laptops or tablets tuned in to various weather websites too. It is incredible what we can see live and in real time. The NWS warned us for days that this was coming and I believe all the warning saved many lives.

Wbonesteel, maybe today you can post more photos before the next storm hits. They could provide inspiration and encouragement, especially for anyone with a damaged or destroyed garden who is going to have to start over from scratch.

Also, this was such a stressful event, even for those of us watching it unfold from the safety of our homes far away from the damage. Looking at garden photos is a great form of stress relief!!!!

Hey James, I haven't seen you here much lately. I am sorry the weather is making it so tough for you to garden this year. Some years it is just so hard to get the planting done in the spring.

I think you are absolutely correct in believing your excess rainfall has affected the sweetness of your strawberries. That happens with lots of other veggies and fruit too, including melons and tomatoes.

At least y'all are out of drought there. My county is still in extreme drought with a tiny portion "only" in severe drought and it is ridiculously dry. It is hard to have a good garden in these conditions. I sure am dreading the summer months. I have had to water more in May than I've ever watered in May since moving here. Despite watering, even the ground in the garden is cracked, which is rare. Usually it is only the ground outside the garden that cracks.

We likely will get some rain here in Love County today or later this week and we surely will appreciate every drop.

Dawn

• gldno1
    10 years ago

I am checking in here to see how my Oklahoma gardening friends are doing after the devastating storms.

I do hope you all are safe and have no damage. I know parts of Oklahoma were hit hard and my heart goes out to all of you.

We have survived a tornado, maybe two, in the last years. One took out our pole barn completely, but no major damage to the house. We dread tornado season.

We did get a good 1.25 of rain which was much needed here.

Hope you all are safe. Please watch the weather again today and tomorrow.

Your friend from the Ozarks,
    Glenda

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

My soil is cracking also. It will always crust over, and later start cracking. I think when it crust over it slows the evaporation a little, but when it starts cracking there is a lot of stress on me and the plants.

I was not able to till my north garden until 2 or 3 weeks ago. I planted corn and beans (beans not up yet). I watered and went this morning to get a load of shredded leaves. I plan on the mulch to reduce the cracking. I did not plant a cover crop last fall and can tell the quality of my soil has dropped.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Nothing here at all, but it was sobering seeing the damage on tv. Our hearts go out to all those who have lost homes and property.

We have only had to water at transplant time and once for some small emerging plants several weeks ago. We've had good rains so far and have the garden almost entirely mulched to hold the moisture.

Sure hope everyone who needs rain gets it with no damage from tornado, wind or hail.