Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Everyone should take a look at the mesonet 30-day rainfall

scottokla
10 years ago

One of the most impressive ones you will ever see. How we ended up with less than 4 inches, I have no idea. The farm was just over 5 inches and in good shape. No runoff since April though.

Here is a link that might be useful: mesonet 30-day rainfall

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

The map looks good, except for the panhandle.

Our mesonet station has had almost 5" more than we've received at our house, but I'm not complaining. We've still had good rainfall (especially in the last half of May), just not quite as good as what Burneyville has had.

We haven't had much runoff either and the big pond remains empty. Once this year it had about 4" of runoff in it for a week or so, but otherwise it has remained dry. We are still in drought, our ground remains cracked and, when it does rain, the ground just slurps up the moisture.

Our pond has been dry for so long that I cannot believe it used to be full year-round and once had fish in it. I cannot even remember the last year we had any fish in it. Maybe 2002. Everything for our ponds began changing in 2003, a drought year in which we had just under 19" of rainfall and, despite a couple of good rainy years, it has been a slow, steady deterioration in the ponds' ability to recharge and refill. I almost hesitate to call it a pond any more. It is full of grass now and just looks like a low-lying pasture.

• p_mac
    10 years ago

I did check it out yesterday, Scott. Funny thing - here in Norman we are just less than an inch from what we received the ENTIRE YEAR of 2012. And it's only June 2!With Friday nite's gully-washer....our road flooded and was closed all the way to I-35 until today.

And we're beginning to see hummer activity again!

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Paula,

I am so glad your moisture levels are so good this year, particularly after the prior two years left the soil bone dry in so many areas. I hope the moisture continues at a regular rate all summer long. You know, occasionally we do have a summer with at least adequate rainfall. Maybe this will be one of them.

Our rainfall hasn't surpassed 2012's yet, but is has really improved the last two weeks.

In a somewhat amazing (at least to me) "accomplishment", almost exactly 50% of the rainfall recorded at our Mesonet station in 2013 has fallen in the last two weeks. Prior to that, we were in a world of hurt for moisture.

I am glad to hear the hummers are starting to show up again. I was worried those huge hailstones might have gotten them.

I'm going to link the year-to-date rainfall map. Except for the panhandle, everyone has had decent rainfall, though NW OK is substantially below average still too.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!