Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

strawberries

borderokie
10 years ago

Have decided I want some strawberry plants. I know it is almost too late but I'm gonna try anyway I think. My favorite saying about strawberries is "Need some grass plant some strawberries. It will come running. So I know I'm crazy. I know there are 3 types. Just have no idea of any names to look for as far as taste or what the difference in the berry is between everbearing or June. Anyone have a favorite strawberry plant they recommend. I know the weather will affect the taste but want one to at least start out claiming to be sweet.

Comments (9)

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

I'm no strawberry expert but i'll try to help with what little i know.

The main difference in types are the june bearing will set more fruit for a short period much like a determinate tomato. While an everbearing will have a little more extended crop but not as heavy at one time.

So if your wanting to have enough at one time for freezing for a later use, then i'd reccomend a june bearing variety. I think osu has surecrop at the top of the list for oklahoma.

If you just want a few to snack on over a longer time frame then a everbearing may suit you better.

As far as getting plants now, it may be a little hard, unless you know someone thinning their bed.

Also, with the heat coming, it will be a challenge to get them to survive till they get a strong root system. they will need a lot of attention.

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After I posted this I went and looked and found where several on here said they are just too much of a pain. Thought it was just me when I tried them years ago. Just get tired of paying so much for them. We have a strawberry patch nearby but they are very expensive to have them picked and I am in the greenhouses so much in the spring i dont have the energy or the time. Heard they weren't cheap even when you pick.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

The biggest pain is keeping the weeds out of them for the first summer while they establish and the runners spread. We ate them every day for 3 weeks and I put over 30 (36 I think) pints in the freezer from the 25 plants I set a year ago April. I bought a few of an everbearing type once at an exorbitant price, but they never set runners and the flavor of the berries isn't as good as the June type. I don't remember the name of mine, except that the word Early was in it. Someone will know I imagine. I will keep mine watered all summer and transplant a bunch to a new bed this fall. Early spring or early fall are better times to plant them than early summer.

• okievegan
    10 years ago

The birds are very grateful that I haven't given up on strawberries yet. *sigh* I wish they would share!

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You may have to get you some of those nets to win the game. So aggravating to try so hard and get nothing!! Makes you want to go bird hunting!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy,

I'm thinking maybe it is Earliglow, which has been popular for a long time.

Otherwise, the only other one I can think of with early in its name is Earlibelle, but I haven't seen them in stores in recent years. I don't know if I've seen Earliglow much in recent years, but still see it occasionally.

Ozark Beauty is another that does really well here.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Right, Dawn, it is Earliglow, I think I ordered them from Stark's. They're good berries, done now.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy, They are good berries. I think the first strawberries I ever grew might have been Earliglow. Now y'all are making me hungry for strawberries. I have some in the fridge, but they aren't home grown.

This year we built the two new garden spaces out north and west of the barn. Next year the plan is to build a new fenced fruit garden that will, hopefully, keep the pests away from the fruit, at least to the extent that such a thing is even possible.

Dawn

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I started cleaning out a spot at the far edge of my garden next to the fence yesterday. My husband has dumped ashes from the stove there and I think my son has even dumped kitty litter. :( So I am scooping all the dirt? up and throwing it over the fence to make it level. Was gonna be my new strawberry bed this fall but my husband says the cows will eat them. Hadn't thought of that. Guess thats not a good place. Unless I can get him to hook up that electric fence!!