Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Recovery after Hail Storm and Microburst

Posted by biradarcm 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 0:53

Our garden has recovered pretty well after worst hail storm and wet-microburst.

Tomatoes: I had cut damaged stems at ground level, few inches above and some left as it is. Plants shoot new very vigorous shoots which are much better than new plants. I guess already established root system help them recover faster.

Okra, Eggplants, Peppers, Sweet Potatoes: I not done anything to them expect watering, they back to normal saddle. I hope garden may looks pretty well soon.. touch wood!

Today sown coriander, fenugreek, spinach (bed in semi-shade), few more seeds of bush green beans, squash.

All our previously planted zucchini, squash become victims of squash wine borers... luxurious growing plants collapsed over night.

See more pics of recovery at my picasa (Photos no. 61 of 113)...

Cheers -Chandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Recovery after Storm (Photos 61-113)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Recovery after Hail Storm and Microburst

Chandra,

It's great to hear that the garden is recovering. I'm glad to see the tomato plants putting out new growth---that is sort of amazing when you think about how hot it has been.

The okra and eggplant look fantastic. Apparently it takes more than a pounding from hail and a microburst to set them back for very long.

That's too bad about the squash, but it is typical here. I just sow new seeds every month in different spots scattered around the garden in the hope the SVBs and squash bugs won't find the plants. Usually, I get some production from a plant before the bugs or borers take it out. Right now, I have one yellow squash plant "hidden" in a row of tomato plants that is producing well and has no signs of pests. Since I said that, the poor plant probably will collapse and die in the next 2 or 3 days and it will be my fault for jinxing it by saying it had no pests on it. I also 'hide' the squash by planting them under hardy hibiscus plants or mixed in with corn or watermelons or any aromatic herb, It is harder for the pests to find them if they are scattered around instead of planted all in a row where the pests go down the row from plant to plant to plant.

Hope y'all are doing well!

Dawn

o

Oh, that's so good to hear! I'm happy for your recovering garden!

Diane

o

Thank you.
Dawn, I have reseeded all squash again, is this good time to avoid SVBs and get good production?
Regards -Chandra

o

Chandra, glad it's doing well. I thought fenugreek was cool season?

o

I knew you could bring back all those plants and that beautiful space in your backyard. We always had faith in ya, although I don't know where you find the time with the new babies. New mouths to feed will certainly provide incentive to produce good food!

Jammie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here