Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker1122

Windmills

seeker1122
10 years ago

I at one time could walk out my front door with a cup of joe and watch a beautiful sunset. NOT NOW. I see hundreds of windmills. I'm all about being green but it sucks when it happens to you.
I drove to that 5 state run(fundraiser) All the way thru half the panhandle WINDMILLS
Sorry my big B for the day
TREE

Comments (8)

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I know it really has distracted from the scenery here running right through my area. I guess they feel its worth it but I am like you, wish it wasn't in my front and back door.
    Kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I understand how y'all feel. They have put in a wind farm in Montague County, TX, just across the river from the western end of our county, and I find them really distracting when I see them. Still, we all need power and we need power from renewable sources like wind. I haven't been out in west Texas in several years but Tim went there for a business conference a few months ago and he said they saw tons and tons of windmill facilities out there.

There's a place in Gainesville that makes the wind turbines and we see them going up and down the interstate on big trucks pretty much every day. I guess it is a fast-growing industry.

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

I guess maybe I am in the minority here, I kind of like seeing them. I don't know if I would like them if its all I saw from my porch, but I do enjoy looking at them as we drive by.

• seeker1122
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeing them when I used to drive by was cool. Not now I just talked to someone now they'll be to the north and east between me and the OKC. I'll have them on all 4 sides.
    I just talked to a forman and he told me all the energy is being sold to Texas.
    I just drove thru the N part of TX panhandle didn't see any.
    TREE

• lat0403
    10 years ago

I like to see them on the road when driving, but we don't have any around here. I might feel differently about them if they were all around. Especially if we weren't even getting any of the energy they created. If I could use the power, I'd put one in my backyard. I really would love to look at that one all day.

Leslie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Tree, I've linked the Wiki for Texas Wind Turbine Farms. Down near the bottom of the page is a map that shows where many of them are. I know it isn't complete because the wind turbine farm that I can see from Love County, OK, isn't on the list, but that one is pretty new. Most of the wind turbine farms Tim and his co-workers saw while driving to that conference were located between Fort Worth and Lubbock. Most of the really big wind turbine farms there sit between Fort Worth and El Paso. Texas is the largest producer of wind turbine power in the USA.

Leslie, They make wind turbines sized for residential use. Someone in Gainesville, or maybe they actually are just outside of Gainesville in rural Cooke County, has one in their yard. I'd like to have one of those someday. If money was not an object, we'd convert to solar power, but it still is too expensive for the average family to install.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind Power in Texas

• scottokla
    10 years ago

I saw an AP article today about the dozens of golden eagles killed by turbines in Wyoming and the cover-up by the Obama administration. Not surprising, Hundreds of thousands of birds killed each year by them.

I am torn on this subject. I see a lot of good in it, but I'm sick of all the dishonesty on the entire topic.

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Dawn there are several in the TX Panhandle I don't see on that list. The one between Sunray and Dumas is a big one. Not only in numbers but the size of the windmills also. They have their pros and cons. I wouldn't want one close. There are several wind farms in this area of SW KS. There are more proposed but without gov't support they are like the ethanol plants non profitable. So many of them are on hold the same as the ethanol plants. Yes Scott there are many birds killed by them. I also feel for the small landowners that the transmission lines cross. I know of one small produce farmer what had 42 acres and they have built two of the large lines across his property and trying to condemn right of ways to build two more. They have to space them so far a part and if they succeed he won't be able to use it as a farm market anymore. They won't buy his ground as they claim they don't have too. It is a sad story. So yes they are nice to look at driving down the road. But sit on the porch of someone who lives close and listen to the constant swish and tell me how you like them. Jay