Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

crape myrtles are hardy

Last year at the end of the season I purchased about 5 dwarf crape myrtles in small pots. I never got around to planting them, and did not even find a place to store them. I left them in the front of the house, never having made a decision about what to do with them.

Our cold dry winter came and went, but I never got around to putting the poor things in the trash. I looked at them daily, yet did not move them.

Last week I noticed some growth. At this time 4 of the 5 are showing significant growth.

Their ultimate height should be 5 feet - something I doubt, but I will see.

Now I have to find a good place for them.

Sammy

Comments (6)

• Lynn Dollar
    9 years ago

My Wife and I bought a dwarf Crape Myrtle a couple weeks ago and we can't decide where to plant it. I was building a flower bed for it in one corner of the yard, and ran over the Cox Cable lead wire with my tiller, so now we are in a holding pattern till Cox gets out here to run another drop into the house. I'm not planting anything till I find out were they put this wire.

We really only have one spot that gets full sun, the other options are against the north side of a fence, or on the east side of a fence.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I picked up some clearance Black Diamond crepes at the end of the season last year. They did see a light freeze before I could get them in the ground. neither made through the winter. All my old established crepe did just fine this winter. I had some die back but not very much.

Mike

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LC, I wish there were an easy way to mark where they put the cables. I used to stick a rebar cane in the ground, but something always happened to it. The simple thing would be to mark it on my rose map, but I have never done that.

Mike my Black Diamond ones (2) have just recently begun growing from the ground. If you have not already destroyed the plant, there may be hope.

Sammy

• MiaOKC
    9 years ago

LC, we have severed our Cox cable (in the front flower bed, buried about a half inch deep - thanks, Cox!) just digging with a shovel. They didn't reroute our cable, just sent a guy with a repair splice and he wrapped it around the two pieces of cable and squeezed it shut. He even left us a spare since he could tell we might run into this problem again.

We later had a backyard cable re-run because they couldn't find where it went (?!?!) underground, and they sent a guy out to trench and run a new one. He chose the location, and I swear, that thing is ON TOP OF THE GROUND in some places. Like he couldn't be bothered to bury it even a measly half inch like the rest is.

If you want to DIY the repair, it seemed super easy. I'll link to a picture of the doo-dad the cable guy used. Might save you the service call, anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: coax repair splice

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

My Black Diamonds survived the winter and they were in large decorative pots, which generally counts as being one zone colder because they lack the insulation of plants in the ground.

LC, In Fort Worth in the 1980s/90s we have had good bloom from Crape Myrtles that were in a morning sun/afternoon shade situation.

Dawn

• Lynn Dollar
    9 years ago

Mia, its too late, they've already been out to run a new drop, but its yet to be buried. Been two weeks now, and I've got my yard flagged and spray painted by OKIE, waitin for them.

And they told me I would get the bill to rebury the line. Amazing. They too cheap to bury them deep, then if homeowner accidently cuts line, they charge him. Nice way of passing costs to customer.

Problem is, there is no building code that requires them to bury at a certain depth, as all the other utilities have to abide by. Soooo, for Cox, its cheaper the better.

Dawn, thanks, that helps bunches, in fact, it probably settles the issue.