Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

wild tomatillos?

Macmex
11 years ago

I believe it's been two years since I planted tomatillos. At that time, I planted seed from fruit I had brought back from Mexico. And, they flopped. They grew, but they did not produce. Last year I did not plant tomatillos. But as summer advanced I noticed, what I believed to be tomatillo plants, coming up in one area of the garden. I let them grow, and... got no tomatillos. They had husks, but the husks were either empty or had extremely small fruit.

This year I have these plants coming up all over the place. I've been weeding them out, as I purchased tomatillo seed, and feared that they might contaminate the purchased variety, causing it to produce much smaller fruit. But the other day, I did find one I missed and it has some fruit which are getting close to marble size. I'm not sure what I want to do. I have another 14 Verde Puebla (purchased seed) coming up.

Have any of you ever heard of a "wild tomatillo" which produces fruit of negligible size? The Mexican seed I planted, a couple years ago, came from good sized fruit, from the market.

George

Tahlequah, OK

Comments (2)