Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

rain!!!

elkwc
10 years ago

Although I was on the edge of a severe storm last evening I got some much needed moisture this morning. Nothing any better than being woke up by thunder and rain. I went out a few minutes ago and have over an inch in the gauge. I'm calling it around 1.20. Will be able to tell for sure when I head out to do chores. Still some light rain and they say we have a good chance at more. I saw the posts on the other thread but so excited I wanted to start another one for the rain. Just thankful for what we received. Praise the Lord. Jay

Comments (7)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Yay! I am so happy for you!!!

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I will take any extra y'all might have...
    kim

• scottokla
    10 years ago

Sweet.

It's really cool knowing of people in different areas of the state so that when we get weather events it means a lot more to us.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Oh Jay, I am so happy for you. I was up late and watching your area getting rain and hoping it hit your garden. I had just looked at it again this morning and since I was almost positive that it had rained at your house, I came to the forum to see if you had posted a thanks giving prayer.....and there it was. LOL

I had hoped to do some more weeding today, but I got rain too, about 8/10th. I'm sure glad I worked so hard yesterday.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Yay! I'm glad you got the rain and not the severe stuff that was near you.

• elkwc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn yes we got lucky. The storm that just skirted to the north is the same system that dropped marble to golf ball sized hail along with officially clocked straightline winds of 94 mph on Springfield, CO. It passed just to the south of the plant I take care of. A rancher 2 miles SW of the plant had the windows broke out of 3 vehicles setting is his drive. I've heard numerous reports of wind and hail damage in its path. I heard our highest recorded wind here was around 8o mph. It blew a large heavy feed trough I have that had never been moved in the previous two years by wind from one side of the corral to the other. I can only imagine what another 14 mph would of done. I just checked all of my plants both in the ground and the ones I still have in the hot frame I was saving for insurance purposes. None of them appeared hurt. One broken stem is all I found along with a few leaves on the garlic. So overall I survived in good shape. After Friday it looks like we are in for a long stretch of days in the 90's with a couple close to 100. Hopefully we will receive more moisture and some cooler temps before too long. I have some early plants that are flowering and setting fruit and then the later ones will be for fall production. I always plant them at different times as you never know what will produce the best in a given year. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Jay, I was following that storm on the radar all the way from Colorado, and was reading the Severe Tstorm warnings as they popped up and cringing when they mentioned hail. I was sure hoping the hail missed you. I didn't see a pink hail core on the radar when I looked at it over your county, but by then the radar was more east of you and I wondered if I had missed seeing the hail core over your part of the county. I was so relieved to hear the hail and wind didn't get y'all.

I saw that some of the OK panhandle got some good rain too. Hooray for that! They needed it.

My tomatoes were planted over a long period of time because we were rebuilding the big garden, removing old boards and redoing all the raised beds with new boards and wider paths. Then I had a bunch left over that I just couldn't throw on the compost pile, so I finally stuck about 20 of them in the new back garden, and I am pretty sure I didn't get them in the ground until almost mid-May, so they are just now blooming and setting fruit. I probably don't have to plant fall tomatoes because the ones that went in the ground will be the fall tomatoes, but I have a few varieties for fall I want to try anyhow.

I cannot imagine 94 mph straightline winds. I think the strongest ones I remember seeing since we moved here were in the upper 60s around 68 or 69 and they were pretty bad and snapped tree limbs and threw lawn furniture into the pond. I wouldn't want to see 80 mph winds or any that were stronger than that. Any time we have wind gusts over 50 mph in our county, there's plenty of trees down and power outages. I cannot imagine what 94 mph would do. At the north end of the county we did have straightline winds in that strength once, and it rolled several mobile homes over and tore them up.

Dawm