Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (10)

• Lynn Dollar
    9 years ago

My rain guage said 1.41" over night, that's far south OKC.

Mesonet said West OKC got 2.21 ".

And the rain is coming at the right intervals for me.

Amazing, Woodward got 1.26" per Mesonet, Buffalo gets 2.50 , but I've yet to see the needle move at Canton Lake, they got some inflow in the early morning hours, but it barely raised the lake level.

It does appear though, that OKC Water is diverting the North Canadian flow into Hefner, its on a steep rise at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: USGS Hefner Water level

This post was edited by LCDollar on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 8:00

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Love seeing that rise.

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I am not really in west OKC, but I got about 2.25 inches. I must have been in a sweet spot, because Sharon's was almost an inch less and we are not very far apart.

Lake Hefner should get a good rise out of this.

Dawn, the mesonet doesn't show any rain for you, that can't be right...is it? Now I am worrying over you like we worry over Jay :)

Lisa

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

It is nice to look at the rainfall map and see Woodward and some other really dry spots getting rain. That put a smile on my face for all the folks there who have been suffering through such awful drought.

LCDollar, That's an amazing rise in the water level. Just amazing.

Lisa, I'm starting to feel like I moved to Jay's practically-always-dry location, but I checked and I'm still in SC OK.

Somebody in Love County got rain early this morning. Our weather radios and fire radios and phones all went off with warnings while we silly humans were attempting to sleep. We had thunder. We had lightning. We had strong winds briefly. We finally had a small amount of rain. Our mesonet station recorded a little over a quarter inch. The radar-indicated rainfall for my part of the county shows less than that, but we got about a half-inch here this morning, based on the size of the puddles standing in the gravel driveway. I couldn't use the rain gauge totals because I never emptied them out after the last time it rained, so they might not have been empty.

Today was the first day that I thought the countryside around us finally looked really nice and green from the rain that fell two weeks ago. It sure took it a long time to green up. A lot depends on where you are in the county though, but everything has greened up some, and then some areas have greened up a lot.

On Sunday a lot of rain fell to our south and on Monday a lot fell to our north. We did at least get something this morning, but the cracks in the ground that partially closed up two weeks ago are widening again, so it will take more than almost a half inch to make much difference.

We'll be okay here, I think. We are getting just enough rain in little amounts here and there to at least keep us from progressing from Extreme to Exceptional Drought, but we aren't getting enough to drop us back to Severe.

Dawn

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

We got some more this noon while I was delivering lunches. Had to pull over under an awning for awhile. It was beautiful, no damage just rain. My garden and the careless weeds are loving it.
    I saw on FB that the Caprock State Park lake is up an inch and the creeks are running. That will make the Bison happy too especially with all the new babies this year.
    kim

• MiaOKC
    9 years ago

2.5 inches at my house in NW OKC. Flooded the pool again but on the bright side, made it easier to pull weeds last night (but brought out a zillion mosquitoes).

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hate to complain, but much of my garden really could use more sun. It's anticipated to be cloudy all week, again.

My buckwheat is still alive. I suppose next month I'll be grumbling for full rainwater tanks.

• slowpoke_gardener
    9 years ago

We have rain in the forecast so I have been trying to get an area ready for fall crops in my north garden. I really had rather not till weed in, but I will just call them green manure and go on. I have had more of a weed problem this year than I have had in a long time.

Our local TV station has said we are still behind on rain, but it has seemed that our rains were better spaced out and I have watered less this year. I think that having a cooler spring has helped also.

Larry

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

Mia, I agree. I was shoveling and pulling orange ditch lilies (wild daylilies) from my flowerbeds last night. Those are so hard to get rid of. They have completely infiltrated one of my iris beds. :( I really need to dig that whole bed up. Anyone want some irises? I'll share if you help me dig up the bed :)

Lisa

• scottokla
    9 years ago

We are actually still below the average June rainfall levels here, but we are still very green because we have had a lot of half inch rains well spaced. It looks like overnight and the next night are our last good chances for some runoff. We have had zero runoff at the farm this year, which is the first time I have ever been able to say that.in late June.

The radar looks good. Jay got a good rain and lots of people will get at least an another inch in the northwest.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus