Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Reccmmendations for Fall Tomato Varieties

susanlynne48
11 years ago

I have been searching for other varieties, and I am sure many other beginner veggie gardeners may be as well. I looked at the "early maturing" tomato lists, but I'm not sure if some of these will tolerate our heat out of the gate. I figure the best way is to ask you experienced gardeners what you have grown or will be growing for fall tomatos.

I know you choose those with shorter DTMs of 70 to 75 days or less. Some of these seem to be more suited for cooler climates than Oklahoma??

Susan

Comments (2)

• sheri_nwok
    11 years ago

I'm not an expert and I'm not really planting any fall tomatoes this year, but when I was thinking about doing it this year, I was going to use mainly Early Wonder. They are an early tomato and the taste, at least here in my soil is out of this world. The production was pretty high too. I also noticed some of the seed companies have referred to it as having -full tomato flavor. In a week or so I should be able to tell you how the chef jeff's "Sir Speedy" taste. It has produced a lot of tomatoes that are getting pretty close to ripening.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm having a hard time getting enthused about anything in today's weather (99 degrees, heat index maxed out, I hope, at 108), but the seeds I've started for fall are these varieties:

Fourth of July (dtm 49 days)
    Matt's Wild Cherry (55 days)
    Early Doll (55 days)
    Early Wonder (55 days)
    Sophie's Choice (55 days)
    SunGold (57 days)
    Early Goliath (58 days)

I choose these specific varieties because of some combination of the following:

a) I already had the seed
    b) They have short DTMs
    c) They gave grown and produced well for me in the past.

I might add a long-keeping type and might take cuttings from some of the current plants and grow some fall tomatoes from the cuttings.

We are on tomato overload here, so I am not necessarily feeling the need to grow huge amounts of fall tomatoes. With the way the weather is cranking up, I doubt we'll be overloaded with tomatoes for long though. We've already got oodles of tomatoes put up/preserved for the off-season, so I can relax a little and not worry so much about big production in the fall.

It is too hot today to even think about it, and summer's only begun.

The best producers in our garden so far this year, among plants that produce anything larger than bite-sized fruit, are Early Girl, Cluster Goliath, Fourth of July, Early Doll and Brown and Black Boar. All of them have produced (ripe, or still green) dozens of tomatoes. The best-producing cherry, by a landslide, is SunGold, although Terrenzo and Lizzano have produced a lot too. So, when selecting for fall, I chose some of the best-producing short DTM types from the spring plantings and added to them some of the best-producing short DTM types from past years.

Dawn