Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Of Topic: The movie Pearl

Posted by oklavenderlady (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 8:34

Did anyone see the movie Pearl on OETA last Saturday night? We watched it and it was great. It's about a Marlow girl in the late twenties and early thirties who met Wiley Post and started flying at 12. We met her once and she was really interesting. Her dad was blind but ran a successful business in Marlow. She drove him everywhere and once she started flying, she flew him and other businessmen. And she was a barnstormer. She retired at 18.
The movie is being shown again at 11:30 on Friday night. There is the movie and a short documentary about her life. It's worth a look.
Loretta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Of Topic: The movie Pearl

We did!! Enjoyed it! I'm always amazed at the rich, wonderful heritage our states has. No wonder we're tough enough to put up with our dreadful weather! We come from good stock!

o
RE: Of Topic: The movie Pearl - Seedmama alert

Seriously, Seedmama - if you can, record this. I think you, Seedpapa and Seedling #1 would very much enjoy this. Actually - anyone who's interested in our state's history would glean some interesting info from this. There are slight tid-bits of humor mixed in. Seems Ms. Pearl was quite a Southern Plains Lady, just a bit of a radical. Of course, I hold a special affinity with her as she did love the Big Birds in the sky. I can't imagine being 14 and flying a plane! She retired from flying at 18??? (For those of you that are saying "what???"...I work at the FAA and am lucky to earn a living working with aircraft.)

Just had these thoughts I wanted to add. And to make it garden related...Ms. Pearl survived the Dust Bowl living on a farm with her husband. Dang...I'm glad I wasn't born in those days. TMI!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here