Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avidchamp

Sun dried Tomatos

avidchamp
14 years ago

We are leaving for a trip of about a week. We had a package of grape tomatos in the fridge that would probably spoil while we are gone. I decided to split them in halves and put them on the dehydrator to give that a try. I have seen "Sun-Dried" Tomatos in the stores and just wondered what the difference would be in my dehydrator and laying them out in the sun to dry. Does the Tomato really know the difference or will they turn out just the same. And the second question; Is there anything that I should have done to prep the toms besides just splitting them and laying them peeling side down on the dehydrator? With just the one shelf of them on there, we will probably have some answers by late today or tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Bob

Comments (6)

• shekanahh
    14 years ago

Bob...
    I'd like to know the answer to whether the tomato knows the difference between being dehydrated by the sun or the dehydrator, as well. Since in my area, the humidity is so high I can't imagine them being "sun dried". Could be wrong, but I'd like to see some responses on this issue.

I LOVE sun dried tomatos for my Mediterranean recipes...and they are so expensive to buy.

Barbara

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Technically, there is no difference. Whether the tomato dries in the dehydrator, the stove, or in the sun, the process is the same....the moisture in the fruit is depleted which makes it possible to store the tomatoes long-term, and which also tends to intensify the flavor.

There are many ways to dehydrate tomatoes, and you have to experiment and find what works for you.

Some people just cut the bite-sized tomatoes in half, or in quarters if they are large like Large Red Cherry, and place them cut side up on the rack or baking sheet and dehydrate them. Some people salt them, feeling it helps draw out the water and also makes them tastier. Some people drizzle them with olive oil (but this makes it take a lot longer for them to dry) alone or with olive oil plus some spices or seasonings. Some people marinate them in wine first. So, you can do it simply or you can do it in a slightly fancier way.

Then, there are various ways to store them. I store mine in zip-lock bags in the freezer although you can store them in jars or other airtight containers if you are sure you have them dehydrated enough.

You can read more about various ways of dehydrating tomatoes by googling.

I usually dry several hundred at a time because my convection oven has a built-in dehydrator mode. Over the course of the summer/autumn, I'll dry several thousand, and no matter how many I put up for winter, it is never enough.

To dry larger ones, by the way, it is better to cut them into pieces smaller than halves...like quarters or sixths or eighths.

Barbara, I have air-dried or sun-dried Principe Borghese tomatoes by pulling up the entire plant when it is covered in fruit and hanging it upside down in my garage or tornado shelter. It works best if done in August when our heat here in Love County is at its highest for the summer, and our humidity is at its lowest. The bigger issue than the humidity (almost all the tomatoes dried just fine with no mold issues) is insects trying to get at the tomatoes, so you have to wrap them in sheer curtain fabric or something similar, tied at the top and at the bottom, to keep the bugs off the air-drying fruit.

Dawn

• avidchamp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that gives some interesting ideas for upping the ante on the dried toms. I think some type of seasoning would certainly enhance the flavor of them. I had never tried drying toms before, but I can't give an answer why. Just didn't think about it I guess. We normally dry apples and they make the absolutely best apple sauce ever when re-hydrated. The problem is no apples either last year or this year. Maybe next year. For now, the Tomatoes are certainly an interesting target.

Bob

• chefgumby
    14 years ago

I've used lots of different techniques for drying tomatoes and capturing the summer goodness, but by far the easiest method I most use at restaurants and at home is to dry them in the oven on the lowest setting possible (best in a convection oven). If you have a gas stove, sometimes you can actually dry them with just the pilot light! That way you don't even have to turn the oven on. The best part is adding your own touches, such as fresh herbs and olive oil like Dawn mentioned. Sky's the limit, right? The main thing is getting the size right so the moisture evaporates consistently. You want all the pieces to be the same size. I generally halve (half?:) paste types, cut cherries in half or leave whole, and....must admit I don't generally like to dry large tomatoes, but you would definitely want to at least quarter them. You'll never buy "sun-dried tomatoes" again.

happy hot gardening
    Dale

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Hi Dale,

"happy hot gardening" LOL

I have a hard time combining the words happy and hot!

I just got my convection oven last year, and I just love it...especially the "Dehydrate" feature. And, I have to confess, I didn't even realize when we bought it that there was a dehydrate feature until I started reading the manual on the way home. Prior to that, I had dried tomatoes three ways....air drying in the heat, in the regular oven turned down low, and in a standard food dehydrator. I feel like the convection oven set on "Dehydrate" is superior to all those other methods.

And, Dale, neither one of us mentioned how incredibly wonderful the kitchen and adjoining rooms smell when the aroma of dehydrating tomatoes is in the air!

Dawn

• chefgumby
    14 years ago

Gosh the aroma, it's like bringing the summer garden inside. At one Italian place I worked, we dried them overnight and when we came in in the morning we were greeted with the smell permeating the entire place, mmmmmm....yum.

Dale