Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grandpa's tomatoes...

Posted by ReedBaize Edmond, OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:57

My grandfather sent me this picture yesterday. He is growing these Grandfather Ashlock tomatoes that I gave him when they were seedlings. They seem to be doing very well.

Also, I am sorry that I have not been posting more. We are still without internet service and I'm using my phone to post to this forum from time to time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grandpa's tomatoes...

Wow, looking good, So far all I've harvested have been cherries and medium size varieties. Have a Black Brandywine almost ready tho. It's about that size.

o

...and mine are just starting to set...a few...
Looking good!!

Sharon

o

They look great. I bet he is thrilled with the harvest.

We are harvesting tons of tomatoes this week, along with sweet corn, squash, garlic and potatoes. I've been so busy harvesting, I hardly have time to eat. That is just wrong.

Beginning tomorrow we will be having a major cucumber explosion here. I expect to be making pickles like a maniac for a few weeks. Tim stopped at CostCo on the way to work today and bought me 10 gallons of vinegar and a 50-lb. bag of sugar. I'm going to make pickles until I run out of jars. Some years the harvest is more spread out. This year it is a lot more concentrated. I blame the late cold for that. Everything just went crazy after that last cold night.

My favorite big tomatoes to eat so far this year are JD's Special C-Tex and Gary O Sena, but Momotaro is pretty good too.

Dawn

o

No tomatoes here yet. I will either get my wall of waters out next year or use a row cover and get some out early. You guys have inspired me. My problem is when I should be planting the greenhouses are breaking loose. So it is busy and crazy there. Makes it hard to get anything done here. My garden also sits kinda low so it takes a while to get dry. You guys are makin my mouth water!! They look good!(I did cheat though. We grew some this winter at the greenhouses but they still are not near as good as what comes out of the ground.)

o

Another of his of the same variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here