Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Fall Garden prep.

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

I have removed my potatoes and onions. Because of the late start this spring and because my potato bed was so hard I will skip the summer crop and try to get the area ready for Cole crops.

I have a 4'x12' piece conveyor belt that I use to drag thing around with the lawn mower. I have tilled in 2 loads of grass clippings into the soil. I have done this before, but never this much, this close to planting time. I most often do it in the fall. I also hope to start collecting organic matter to place between the rows and plants.

Larry

Comments (10)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Hi Larry!

Your garden looks great. I can't believe it's that time, already.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bon. Some of my garden has done well, but I am not too happy with my tomatoes, they have had very poor fruit set this year. My pepper plants are on the small side this year. I planted mostly pimento type peppers, I understand that they smaller plants. I am very happy with a pepper called "Tangerine". It is small but very sweet.

Larry

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Awesome! I couldn't do a real garden this year in any way, but utilized my planters for carrots. The weather brought them right along! It's incredible and I'm so excited about actually having a harvest on a year I didn't actually have a garden. LOL

That being said, I wish you didn't live in Arkansas so I could have met you at the Garden Party Jo sponsored.

I had gotten out of the hospital only a few days before. They fixed my neck!!! I still have 4 herniated in my lower, but I am so much more active and have half the pain than before.

So, I'm making plans for the fall garden, too. What sort of cole crops are you going for this fall?

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bon. I bought a different Chinese cabbage a few days ago. I already have some Blues Chinese cabbage. I have a few different kinds of broccoli. I have different kinds of greens. I am sure I will come up with many more plants than I have room to plant. I would also like to plant some ornamental kale.

I may have to have surgery also. If that happens I will have to change my plans a bit.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

I hope it's not anything serious! What are they wanting to do to you??

I love chinese cabbage. I'll attempt broccoli... AGAIN. We really love broccoli, cauliflower and more broccoli.. I've gained a little more courage after the carrots.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bon, My last mri showed I had 2 torn muscles, damaged rotator cuff and a bone spur in my right shoulder. The good news was that my lower back had not deteriorated a lot in the past 4 years. I can still do most of the things I like to do, I just cant lift or climb, and I am a little unstable on my on my feet.

This has been coming on for a long time, it has just gotten to the point that it needs to be fixed, or quit using my right arm.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

So glad to hear about your lower back! I remember you mentioning all the handy helpers you build to remain mobile in the garden.

I'm amazed at what they can do. Seems necessary to find a surgery who isn't into running a cookie cutter operation nowadays. Hard to find one that is astute and diligent during operation.

Getting old stinks.

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

Friends, Friends, Friends!!! We ARE NOT getting old...we just need a little maintenance from working very very hard...for quite a long while....

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

Larry- Looks like its ready for fall goodies!! I was standing out in my patch yesterday thinking about what I needed to do to get mine ready. The ground is so hard though that I think I am going to have to soak it a bit before I can add in anything.

Sorry your going to have to go see the sawbones Dr. soon.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mom, it helps to soak the ground a little to soften it and keep down the dust.

The tilled spot is not ready yet. I planted some left-over peas in the spot to see how they would react. It will be at least a month before I can have any cole crop plants ready. If the peas grow and look okay, I will mow them down before I plant the fall crop. I do however have onions coming up in the north garden where I am trying to grow cow peas. I let some of the winter onions flower so the bees would have something to do, now I have baby onion coming up like weeds.

Larry