Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

small pepper plants

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

The theme this year is Pimento peppers. Not all are small peppers, but all plant are. They all seem to be productive also.

I think there are at least two reasons for the small plants. First, we have had a cool wet spring. Second, the ground has been mulched all year, plus shaded by the potato plants for the past few months.

Next year I may move my peppers to the south edge of the garden and rake the mulch back for the sun to warm the soil.

Madge ask me last evening "what happened to those pretty yellow peppers". I had to tell her that something ate them, I did not tell her what ate them, but the were sure sweet.

Larry

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Larry, My feeling is that the gardener gets to eat whatever they want in the garden. It is the perk of being the gardener! I snack on produce in the garden all the time, considering whatever I am eating to be a form of gardener's Gatorade. For example, why go to the house and get a bottle of Gatorade if I can just eat cherry tomatoes while I work. Tim has no idea how many cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas never even make it up to the house from the garden.

I think your pepper plants will take off now and grow like mad with sunnier, hotter weather making its annual appearance. You really don't want your pepper plants too tall in May or early June because the high winds that accompany thunderstorms will snap them in half.

Dawn

• Macmex
    10 years ago

Hopefully the plants will gain size now that the "heat's been turned on."

Love your posts Larry!

George

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, George.

Dawn, I had to tell my sweet wife that something got all the Sungold a week or so ago. There is at least one hungry critter that hangs around my garden.

Larry

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Larry, mine are small at this time too, especially the Joe Parkers which I planted through heavy permanent mulch. I need to get some more nitrogen on them. Now that the weather is warmer I want them to grow. I bought my yellow banana and bell peppers with blooms and now have small peppers on them.

Oh, Larry, go share. Glenn and I actually cut the first Sungold in half and each had just a tiny taste.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dorothy, I brought the first Sungold into the house a little before it was ready to eat. I placed it on the cabinet and in a couple of days it disappeared, a few days later I did the same thing with 3 more. I have decided that if I am going to get anything to eat, I will have to eat it in the garden.

Larry

• ponderpaul
    10 years ago

Larry; I have 50 some pimento plants, some with peppers 3 & 4 inches long. We have a continuous supply of ripe red bells in the greenhouses but I am having trouble waiting to see that first pimento start to turn red!
    Also have a couple of Cowhorns, several cubanelle and sweet bananas that are about ready to pick

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Ok, Larry, you're off the hook. I would do the same thing.

• slowpoke_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, all my ripe pimentos peppers have been a yellow/orange color. Carol gave me the seed, the name is Tangerine. They have been very sweet. I have a few turning now, but not quite ready.

I grew several Cubanelle last year and the year before. They are a nice pepper also. I have never grown a cowhorn, but have grown one, I think was called Big Jim that was a very large, long pepper.

Larry

• bettycbowen
    10 years ago

Those look nice, I also bet they will really start growing now it is hot. I have had two hot banana peppers, that is all so far.