Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvncannin

What ! A tomato! could it be?

luvncannin
10 years ago

Came back from meandering around Oklahoma, had a great time saw a lot of country and found this golf ball size. ME! really growing tomatoes...A couple hundred more and I will firing up the canners.
kim
also the peppers are coming on pretty fast.

Comments (6)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

It looks like a tomato to me. Is this the first tomato this year or just the biggest one so far?

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my first one this year.
    Last year I had 22 plants big huge beautiful plants and no tomatoes until September, and then we only got 2. Most people in this area said it was a bad tomato year so I didn't feel too bad.
    Year before, my first real garden and first year here, I lost everything to the hot wind. Again the locals assured me it wasn't me just the challenges we face here in the panhandle.
    Well a couple weeks ago I was getting worried. On here everyone talking about tomatoes and I had plenty blooms no fruit yet. I fertilized and it seems to have helped, plus rain couldn't hurt, right...
    kim

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Kim glad you have tomatoes setting. I picked my first one last week. It will be another 7-10 days before I pick another one. They will be few for a while. But at least can have a BMP once in a while.
    Have your sweet potato slips arrived. I put two potatoes in container to grow slips from. One has produced 7 so far and has more breaking through. The other hasn't produced any. I did take a few off of some potatoes I didn't cover and have them rooting in water now. I started planting slips the night before the heat hit. So far have kept all alive. I have developed a system that works for me after losing several nice ones the first year. I water them in well after planting. Then I put straw around them and sparsely cover the top of them also. Then cover this with a piece of shade cloth. I water them again the second night and after that look at them when I get home around 4 and only water if I see some wilting. I give them at least 7 days to root some and then start removing the shade cloth of an evening and putting it back before I leave for work. Then over a weekend I will remove it of a morning and gradually after 2-3 weeks will have it removed and they do fine. After I have the shade cloth removed I then remove the straw I had over them. I still lose one once in a while but not as often. There maybe be better methods but this one works well for me. Otherwise the heat kills them faster than I can set them out. Jay

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jay thanks for the tips on the sweet potatoes. I was worried about how to keep them going in this heat. I haven't received them yet I am going to keep 20 and give my FIL 80. He has more room and is ready to go. If it threatens frost before they are done I have a few cattle panels ready to makeshift a tunnel in my fall area.
    I have quite a few tomatoes coming now. I am really starting to get excited that some may actually make it into jars this year. I have had cases of jars waiting patiently to be filled for 3 years.
    kim

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Kim I'm sure there are many other ways and maybe some better. It is the way that I found that has worked for me. Even if the ground is wet and they are wilting severely I water them. My garden is in deep sand also. Without an established root system it is hard for them to uptake enough water in the extreme heat and especially with the winds we've had. Shading them helps reduce their water requirements.
    I've got a few tomatoes set. Some of my earlier plants are just now really loaded with blooms. And now we have the high heat. It hit 94 today but has been cloudy and is 88 now. So maybe I will get a little fruit set. They are saying possibly cooler down the road 7-10 days. Also the winds are supposed to be milder than they have been that should help also. My later plants aren't ready for heavy fruit set yet. Jay

• okievegan
    10 years ago

I just ate my first tomato ever....I mean, the first tomato ever that I grew. It wasn't ripe yet. It probably needed at least two more days but I wanted to beat the insects and birds to it. :D

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022