Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrholme

Green Beans?

chrholme
10 years ago

Anyone know where I can still find these plants in the OKC area? Thank you :)

Comments (8)

• momofsteelex3
    10 years ago

I don't know where you can find the plants, but I planted right from seed and they came up really fast, I want to say within 3-10 days I had sprouts. I don't know if its too late, as in it would effect the harvest, someone with far more knowledge can chime in.

• bettycbowen
    10 years ago

If anywhere, TLC Edmond, you could always call first.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Our Wal-Mart still has bean seeds on the racks and bean transplants in the garden center. I'm like Bree, though, when it comes to beans....they sprout super-fast in the ground at this time of year.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

IF you soak the seeds overnight, they come up really fast.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

I just planted some green bean seeds on Sunday in an area vacated by onions. I didn't pre-soak, though, so if nothing pops up in the next week or so I will pre-soak some to continue as I harvest the rest of the onions. I checked the Lowe's at 36th & May when I was there Wednesday keeping an eye out for you, no green bean transplants.

• lat0403
    10 years ago

I planted beans in an empty spot a little over a week ago and they all came up in less than a week. I didn't pre-soak. It may be too hot here to get any beans from them now, but I didn't need to put anything else there.

Leslie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Leslie, I almost always get beans in summer until it gets really, really hot so I think it is likely you'll get something as long as your temperatures don't get insanely hot. Unfortunately, you live in the insanely hot portion of OK, but still, all it takes is a little rain shower and a cool night here and there and the beans will produce, albeit perhaps more sporadically than they would in April or May. This year, in April and May, they likely would have frozen.

I planted pole beans for summer production and saved all the bush beans for fall. We'll see how that works out. Last year I planted both for summer and had a hard time keeping up with the harvest.

I did just plant some purple hyacinth beans for late summer color. I wish all the varieties of edible beans would bloom and set beans as well in the summer heat as purple hyacinth beans do.

I planted some southern peas for summer legumes, and will plant more when I get through digging potatoes, although some of the potato beds are just going to get flowers planted in them.I planted a lot of potatoes this year, and don't want to fill all that space with beans.

Dawn

• lat0403
    10 years ago

We've been over 100 degrees every day this week, so I think the heat is here. I already have some bush beans planted, but mostly I just planted Rattlesnake for my beans this year. They're doing well, so I will hopefully still have beans even if these late plantings don't produce. I had been going through and filling empty spaces with southern peas and okra, but the last thing I needed was more of either. They'd probably make me feel more accomplished because I know I'd harvest plenty, but I'd rather have green beans.

Leslie