Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

Crepe Myrtle

momofsteelex3
10 years ago

Quick question, as I was browsing some old threads on here, I notice Dawn, I believe it was said CM's where wonderful for the south/west side.

Well, I cut that sucker off one of the crepe myrtles here awhile back, and transplanted, didn't care really too much if it made it or not, although I was secretly hoping it would just to irritate my husband who thinks my tree relocating is out of control. Now when I say I didn't care, I didn't research, other then asking a quick question here, I didn't pot it, or give it root hormones, I stuck it in the ground, on the north side of the house, in the middle of the lawn.

Now, its doing well, its leafy, and green, and still one stick..But my question is, will it do ok here, or should I move it this fall to the south side?

Bre

Comments (4)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bre,

If the north side isn't too shady, it will grow fine there but if the north side is very shady, it might not bloom well there in the shade. There are different kinds of shade, everything from full shade to dappled shade. In Fort Worth I grew crape myrtle in dappled shade and it bloomed fine, but it had full sun part of the day and dappled shade (on the north side of our house) for the rest of the day.

When I said crape myrtles were great for the south and west sides, that didn't mean they won't grow in sunshine on the east or north side of a house. They will do fine there. I just meant that crape myrtles are both heat-tolerant and drought tolerant so that they even thrive in very difficult locations with lots of heat and reflected sunlight in our climate. That's why you see so many of them planted alongside highways and roadways, in medians, in store parking lots, etc. They laugh at heat and sunlight that is too brutal for many other plants to grow in and thrive in the hot summer months.

Dawn

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn- thanks for replying. That one part of the yard I planted it gets at least 6+ hours of full sun, so I bet it will do fine. I just didn't know. This has been the spring and summer of learning for me. I didn't even know what a CM was when I moved here last year lol. I am sure we had them in Georgia, but I just don't remember them, or I was too googly eyed in love and just married to notice them I guess.

I have spent a lot of time researching trees, reading about trees this morning on the Arbor Day website and plan to sign up for their 10 trees. Maybe if I start them from babies, I will know more about them and won't come here with silly tree questions.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bre, You're welcome.....and there are no silly questions.

The Arbor Day trees we ordered decades ago were essentially bare, naked twigs the size of a pencil. Some of them did survive and grow, albeit slowly, but Tim tended to forget they were there and mow right over them. If I were doing it over again, I likely wouldn't bother, but if I did have twigs like that and wanted to plant them, I'd cage them to keep the mower from gobbling them up, and I'd mulch the ground around them to keep the grass down so that somebody with a string trimmer in his hands wouldn't accidentally cut them down too.

Maybe it isn't this way at your house, but at our house, I plant things and he accidentally kills him. My DH is not allowed inside a fenced garden or near any precious plants with any sort of potential plant-killing equipment, including a chain saw. He never intends to cut down things I've planted, but he does it all the same while he is doing something else in the area.

Dawn

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn- Well I do all the mowing, edging, weeding at our house, bc I like to do it, and he hates it, and bc my dad was a lawn perfectionist, and it has rolled onto me. But I can see myself taking out something I didn't mean to! Josh just more or less stays away from the gardens all together unless he is taking his weekly peek at whats growing. And he just goes along with my shenanigans..he is really going to love me this fall when I move this Rose of Sharon plant :)

I read that they we're basically twigs, and I am still debating. I really don't NEED 10 trees, but the price lures me. I am waiting to see if WalMart marks down their trees anytime soon. Or Lowes if I go over to Muskogee bc I am really needing something more mature to replace the few that have died due to heat/drought, and to shade the area of the lawn where the kids play.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus