Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorie6

what's wrong with this tree

sorie6 zone 6b
10 years ago

This tree was here when we moved in. Hoping we can save it.
what kind is it?

Comments (10)

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic of leaf

• helenh
    10 years ago

It could be a red maple leaf. The tree is damaged and the heart wood is rotting fungi working on it. I would pull away the loose curling bark; it is trying to heal itself. It may live a while and you can enjoy its shade. If it had big limbs over your house or other buildings or where you park your car, I would remove it. It doesn't look big enough to cause big trouble but I would worry about its long term prognosis.

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I second Mary's opinion.

In 2007 most of the big trees that went down during the ice storm in Tulsa, had internal damage.

Looks to me, like this tree does too. I would not hesitate to take it out, and plant something of my own choice.

Moni

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks. I'm hoping to save it. it isn't very old as the house is only 4yr. old.

• helenh
    10 years ago

You should get some more opinions before you do anything. I can't tell how large the tree is. I was just at my neighbors this evening and her maples have bad places on the I think southwest side. It is from the sun heating the young tree frozen trunk in the winter. She is nursing hers along and said she bought some stuff to paint the wound. Your tree looks pretty bad but you focused on the bad spot. I don't like to see the fungus on it. I would clean it out for sure and try to keep moisture out of the bad area. Pull off that loose bark over the dead part.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks The tree is about 8-10 ft. tall I'll try to keep it alive. What did your friend paint on her tree?
    I did take off the fungus and peeled back the bark. I read somewhere to spray rubbing alchol on it?

• helenh
    10 years ago

My friend got something at the botany shop in Joplin and the tree she was speaking of has grown and healed up. I don't know if it was a tar like product. They used to recommend sealing wounds and now the experts don't push that as much. There is a tree forum on here if you don't get more answers here. She has other smaller trees all with bad places on the side where the sun hit them in winter. She said she is trying to keep the bugs beetles from boring into them and is keeping the loose bark cleaned out. Hers are sugar maples I think that grow very slowly. She probably doesn't worry about them causing problems because she just likes the shade they are providing now.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

From a practical standpoint, I would point out that every year you put off replacing it, is just that much longer you will be dealing with a smaller tree at some point.

After saying that...I have a tree that the arborists have pointed out will eventually fall apart...but it is a full grown tree and shades my house, so I've opted to wait it out :)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

If you decide to replace it, check the list of "Oklahoma Proven" trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Proven list

• sorie6 zone 6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lisah