Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

Adventures in Gardening: Before and After, of a sort.

wbonesteel
10 years ago

A couple of pics to demonstrate why I re-graded the front yard and why the front garden is 'tilted' from the edges to the center.

The first pic shows the neighbor's gravel driveway after more than an inch of rain...and after more than several hours of the run-off to drain and percolate. Nothing against the neighbor. The owner is a nice guy. He's a roofer with a rental property (still for sale). He's not a gardner or a landscaper.

The second pic shows not only our front garden on the same day and at the same time, but in upper left of the pic, you can see Halliburton's property across the street...with standing puddles of water. (Generally, It's not as noisy as you might think. It's pretty quiet on this street after business hours and on weekends.)

Notice that there are no standing puddles of water on our property. None. Zero. Zip. Not even in the back yard.

Buckets and shovels and string lines.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Comments (13)

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No standing puddles of water.

• brad6622
    10 years ago

how do you keep the weeds out of your beds? and also how do you cut the grass between those? it looks beautiful

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I walk through the garden three or four times a day, on average. Whenever I walk through the garden, I pull a few weeds here and there. Keeps 'em more or less under control. About once or twice a month, when the weeds start to get ahead of me, I get the hula hoe and spend half an hour or so working things over. If things don't dry out for a couple of days, the weeds ARE gonna stage a coup d'etat. (About 4 AM, the garden looked like a swimming pool.)

Mowing? Yeah. PITA. I also use a line trimmer to keep things trimmed up. The original plan is to replace the sod with edible ground covers. That's scheduled for a couple or three years from now. That, or when I get tired of mowing it, which ever comes first.

edited to note: It only takes about five minutes to mow our front garden and another five to ten minutes to run the lline trimmer. But mowing it? Yeah, it's a bit tricky. Gotta watch yer toes on this one.

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:25

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

And here I thought I was the only one to use PITA!
    I luv the look! Couple of questions:
    1. How do you remove leaves from yur paths?
    2. What sort of "stuff" do you have under the paths?
    LuvaBasil

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For cleaning the paths, I use a rake. We've got a pretty steady breeze, here. The wind takes care of most it, really.

The paths were dug eight inches deep. The bottom was covered with landscape cloth, which was covered with approx four inches of builder's sand with another layer of landscape cloth on that, and then three to four inches of gravel to top it all off. It's really an ad hoc dry well, with a total volume of around 8 cubic yards. Lots of room for water to filter in through the gravel and sand.

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Beautiful layout....but what in the world is PITA? I've not heard of this...

Sharon

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Sharon, You will laugh....it stands for Pain In The Ass. : ) Or, for foodies, I guess we could say it stands for pita bread.

I think both mowing and edging with the string trimmers are a major PITA but also a necessary evil.

Dawn

• brad6622
    10 years ago

Do you use drip irrigation?

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As for irrigation, on our budget, we plan to use sprinkler and soaker hoses, in time. If I can find the parts at the right prices, I'd use a drip irrgation set up for most of it. With the big bucks, we'd be talking about 1/2 inch pvc, risers and specific types of heads where we needed them.

For now, we use a hose and wand, sometimes a hose and oscillating sprinlker. I think of it as being better than using a bucket and a can...

Normally, when needed, we water the plants and un-mulched beds about every other day, and then water the whole thing mebbe once a week. The mulched beds only get watered when they need it, or when individual plants in them need a drink. Compared to the last couple of years, I haven't had to water hardly at all this year.

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 17:09

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

Very, very nice! Personally, I like to use my wand and hose. I can get up close and personal with my plants, and nip any small issues that have potential to become larger issues, in the bud. It's like taking care of your complexion before you end up at the dermatologist' s. I can linger and enjoy the sights and smells, too. If I can't take time to do the small things, it's no longer a labor of love, but a PITA as you so aptly put it, lol!

Susan

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly, Susan.

When I'm watering with a wand, I see things and say, 'That can wait until tomorrow" or "I'll schedule 'this' for Tuesday, mebbe Wednesday." and, my favorite..."Oh, shoot. I gotta deal with 'that' as soon as I put the hose away." Next thing ya know, people think you've got a green thumb or sumpin'. Little do they know how much more we've got to learn, eh? :)

When you linger a bit, you also notice little scenes like this...

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I love your garden more every time I see it. Beautiful !
    kim

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kim! I appreciate it.

The design will work in a larger space. Make sure you give yourself more room to mow the grass than I did. Our garden is only sixty-three feet long and thirty-three feet wide.

The real secret wrt the lack of space for mowing in our garden... is... that I made a mistake, and used the second draft when I laid it out and started digging...instead of using the final draft. The differences, on paper, were relatively minor. In practice it was a mistake of three feet in the total width of the garden. By the time I noticed the mistake, it was much too late in the process and I didn't want to start over.

That mistake gave us most of the long bed, where the glads and blazing stars currently live. In time, that same long bed will have goji berries and honeyberries with perennial veggies as border plantings. Lemons, Lemonade, that sort of thing.

You wouldn't believe how much dirt I re-arranged in that garden...or how many times I turned the beds over with a shovel, mixing in amendments and such. A young man using cash money could've done it all (with the same tools) in a matter of two or three weeks. It took me almost a year and a half. I ain't a young man. My point being, that anyone -if they really wanted to, or needed to do so- can install a design like that, if they can plan ahead and measure things a bit.

(Edit: Now that I think about it, it took me the best part of two years to get to this point, which is a bit more than a year and a half...)

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 0:24