Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennial leek from southern exposure seed

Posted by wulfleton none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:27

I tried a search and didn't see this...please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I am planning the fall garden. Leeks, shallots, kohlrabi, and celeriac are all pretty hard to find in the grocery stores out here, so we want to try to grow these. I noticed that southern exposure sells sells oepri perennial leeks and was wondering if anyone has grown these, or if anyone had any general words of leek wisdom. Thanks!
Krista
/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennial leek from southern exposure seed

Krista,

I am unfamiliar with their perennial leek. However, I have leeks in my garden which come up every year. I was given them about two or three years ago and have not yet harvested any. But they do come up every year and look pretty good.

George

o

Thanks, George!

o

Thanks, George!

o

Maybe by perennial the are referring to the old practice of cutting them off & replanting the root part. Saw on PBS a long time ago, maybe the old Victory Garden.

o

Krista,

Our leek is a true perennial. The individual leeks stay small unless separated. Eating quality is best from late fall to early spring. Like other leeks only the covered portion of the shank is white. We got our start from Tim Miller of Millberg Farm in Texas. The leeks die back in summer which is good for the type of dry land farming Tim does. It also makes it easy to ship dry bulbs to customers in the Fall.
You might also be interested in Yellow Potato Onions, White Multipliers, Grey Griselle Shallots or other unusual Alliums we offer at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
Thanks, Ira for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Exposure Perennial Leek

o

I bought the perennial leek bulbs from SE in the fall of 2012 and planted them in a raised bed. All bloomed and the bumble bees are still feasting on the seeds. Also the bulbs made many of the little pearls which are delicious, if difficult to peel. I also planted their shallots, garlic, walking, bunching and potato onions. Except for the shallots which all rotted, everything bloomed. I was especially pleased that the potato onions bloomed and seeded because I planted three bulbs and got three plants. My garlic did well. Eastern Carolina has had bad gardening weather this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here