Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joplin animals adoptathon

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 13:04

If you are in NE Oklahoma and have room you might consider one of these animals. I looked at the special needs pets and some are just old dogs nothing wrong with them. Below the special needs are pictures that you can click on. After the tornado many fences were down all over town not just in the devastated area and also some people have had to move in with friends or relatives. There was one on there that broke my heart - a needy poodle. The old dogs get to me too; some big breed dogs look like good farm dogs. I can imagine what some of the animals have been through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joplin tornado animal rescue adoptathon this weekend

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joplin animals adoptathon

Helen,

I've seen news reports that many people adopted pets from Joplin yesterday. I hope they have a successful day today too.

I hope every pet finds a home. It certainly isn't these animals' fault that they lost their homes and families in the tornado.

Looking at the special needs animals breaks my heart too.

Please keep us posted on the final number of pets that find homes during the adoptathon.

All of our pets (except the chickens) are adoptess or rescues and we have tons of animals because new ones show up all the time. I hate it when people dump animals "in the country" and I believe that's where a lot of our rescued pets have come from. They just show up here and we keep them forever.

It is hard enough to imagine what a human goes through in a tornado and its aftermath. I cannot imagine what animals go through.

Dawn

o

I think those animals will be fine. They got lots of support and people willing to take animals that need care. The news said they still have one dog and some cats, but people are coming in to the regular shelter and taking pets that were overlooked before. All my animals 4 dogs and two cats were dropped off somewhere. Some I agreed to take and some just appeared in my yard.

o

Thanks for helping out and posting this Helen. Hope they all find homes. People like you have probably helped bring attention the situation. Unfortunately it doesn't end that well for most pound puppies, not around here anyway. I went to Woodward pound last year and bailed out a 3 month old beautiful cocker spaniel and gave her to a family member whose dog was run over. I was afraid to leave and come back fearing she would be adopted out, the pound workers laughed at that. They said the month before they collected nearly 400 and less than 50 were picked up by owners and very few adopted out. Makes me sick people are ignorant about spaying their animals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here