Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful Moth

Posted by macmex 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 13:20

Anyone know what kind of moth this is? I found it this morning.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful Moth

I believe it is the Royal Walnut Moth, which means its caterpillar is a many-horned hornworm that looks scarier to me than a tobacco or tomato hornworm. I'll see if I can find a photo that confirms it is a Royal Walnut Moth, and will link it below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Walnut Moth

o

Way to go, Dawn! The caterpillar is commonly referred to as the Hickory Horned Devil. Gorgeous find, George. We don't often find these beauties in Oklahoma. They are much more common East of us. But, this year has brought us many insects we don't find often in our gardens.

Susan

o

Susan, Thanks. I didn't remember the alternate name until I'd already posted the official name but I figured you likely would mention it when you saw this thread.

Our property has tons of walnut, hickory and pecan trees, so this is one moth we sometimes do see. I've only seen the HHD hornworm once or twice here. I should know if it was either once or twice but all the years run together in my memory and I'm no longer sure if I've seen them more than once. It is an odd year for insect sightings. I have had a red katydid or two this year, and I usually don't see the red ones here, only the green ones. Normally we have oodles of yellow jackets, and I haven't seen a one. I'm not complaining. I usually have to fight them to keep them from building their nests around the porches, patio, garage and shed. Still, it is odd not seeing them.

I wonder what other creatures we may see this summer?

Dawn

o

Susan, Thanks. I didn't remember the alternate name until I'd already posted the official name but I figured you likely would mention it when you saw this thread.

Our property has tons of walnut, hickory and pecan trees, so this is one moth we sometimes do see. I've only seen the HHD hornworm once or twice here. I should know if it was either once or twice but all the years run together in my memory and I'm no longer sure if I've seen them more than once. It is an odd year for insect sightings. I have had a red katydid or two this year, and I usually don't see the red ones here, only the green ones. Normally we have oodles of yellow jackets, and I haven't seen a one. I'm not complaining. I usually have to fight them to keep them from building their nests around the porches, patio, garage and shed. Still, it is odd not seeing them.

Dawn

o

Dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here