Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezzirah011

Pop up greenhouse...

ezzirah011
10 years ago

My wonderful DH bought me a small pop up greenhouse for an anniversary present! Now I have to figure out how to grow stuff in it. I realize since it is portable that I can moving it as the seasons see fit. I am thinking some where there is morning sun afternoon shade for now. Then in the fall/winter someplace more sunny. (yes, it is that small, but I have small backyard, so it works. Vent it good in high temps. But what I am most curious about is how to use it to harden off plants. Every year I lose way too many plants to not hardening them off right. I am hoping this helps with the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What size is it? That plays a large role in how you can use it.

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it's real small, probably 5'x5' square...

• oldbusy1
    10 years ago

I don't want this to come off wrong, but it will be a real learning experience. Small pop up greenhouses do not leave much room for mistakes for inexperienced growers.
    Unless you have some greenhouse experience. Those small ones will get extremely hot in a fraction of the time larger ones do.

Before i tried it with plants, do some experiments with a thermometer to get an idea of what challenges you will have.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Ezz, here is one I had about 4 years. The sun finally got the plastic. I liked it ok, but plan on doing something different now because it became harder to get in and out of the greenhouse.

I never had a heat problem because I am retired and could stay home and watch it. The end vents were open nearly all the time, and when the weather started turning warm the top was open also. I never had a hardening off problem because I would just set the plants outside part of the time. My largest fear was cold. You can put some heat in them with light bulbs or a heater, but I never liked the idea because of cost and fear of fire. I made a frame for my tent and staked it to the ground because of wind. I also put a transmitting thermometer in it.

Larry

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I figured I was going to have to get a thermometer, and since it is so small move it around as the need arises. I have shaded parts of the yard for the summer, then full sun in the winter, but I imagine that I will still have to vent it in the winter. It is big enough for shelves, but I may forgo that and just plant in the ground I put it over. I wanted some way to make hardening off plants easier, and some way to do year around gardening.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

My hopes are to build a cold frame with a drop-down vent door in the back and to build a lean-to type of greenhouse on my shop. When I become unable to garden I will have it cover with sheet metal for a storage area, but with the medical issues I have in the family that may not happen.

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Dawn for all the information!

You mention bubble wrap installation? what is that? Is that bubble wrap, like the stuff everyone likes to pop the packing material, or something else?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Ezzirah, You're so welcome.

Bubblewrap greenhouse insulation can be purchased at a greenhouse supply store. There are many online greenhouse supply stores. One that has a great selection is Greenhouse Megastore. You should not go the Greenhouse megastore website and look at it unless you want to catch greenhouse fever.

Dawn