Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
owiebrain

Moringa

owiebrain
14 years ago

Anyone else grow it?

I got seeds this year from a friend and I now have four plants growing in pots outside, doing well so far.

Just curious if anyone else has tinkered with them.

Diane

Comments (14)

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Diane, I had never heard of Moringa before doing a little Googling because of your post. Sounds like it might be a good plant for dry areas.

Sounds interesting. Have you ever had any of the tea? What does it taste like? How in the world did your friend get seeds?

• shekanahh
    14 years ago

Moringa would take some getting used to. In Oklahoma it would have to be container grown and taken inside during the cold fall and winter months, if one had enough heat and light to keep it healthy. Nutritionally, it sounds as if it's the near perfect food, and would be an excellent choice as a food source for people and livestock for those living in dry arid climates with little rainfall. Interesting, thanks for submitting this info.

Barbara

• owiebrain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ilene, I've not yet had the chance to sample any as mine are only small plants at this point. I'm not sure where he got the seeds.

Barbara, I am growing them in pots so that I can move them to the greenhouse to winter over. Once I get enough seeds to start gobs of them, I may experiment with in-ground planting in various microclimates on the property.

(If I don't murder these four little guys before they get to make seeds, I'll share some with whomever is interested.)

Diane

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Diane,

I am curious how the Moringa experiment held up. Every year I run across the nutritional benefit of this tree and consider growing it. Thanks.

bon

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    8 years ago

I tried to grow moringa this year, but it wasn't happy and the one plant that survived, briefly, never got more than 6 " tall. Maybe next year.

• mulberryknob
    8 years ago

A friend gave me 15 seeds, six of which produced plants. From the time I planted the seeds last January, the trees have grown to be 4-5 ft tall. I gave her three and kept three which I will overwinter inside. But I am curious how to use them. What part is edible? The leaves are certainly not tasty.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    8 years ago

Ha ha, the leaves are supposed to cure...everything. I was going to try to grow them as annual greens, part of my how-many-different-kinds-of-greens-can-I-try project. It is also supposed to be able to be used for water purification. Here is one of those its a super food websites Moringa

• chickencoupe
    8 years ago

mulberry I would love to hear updates on them. Many of us who have yet to try are wondering how they do. I'm assuming they don't do well as most drop off about it.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    8 years ago

They are a tropical tree and apparently drop their leaves when brought inside (according to a friend). He has kept one alive for 3 years. I do think they are touchier than we are led to believe. Maybe not humid enough here. I think I let mine get too dry.

• chickencoupe
    8 years ago

tx Amy Truly tropical plant, it sounds!

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have grown hundreds, if not thousands, of Moringa trees in Southern California. Actually the first Moringa trees I planted were in pots in Charlotte NC. They grew well from June - end of October then a cold snap killed them when we were out of town one weekend. They will grow much faster planted in the ground or a very large pot vs. a small pot. I have included a picture beside an intensive Moringa planting. The trees were planted from seed 4 months before this picture was taken! Yes, you want to eat the leaves for their amazing nutritional qualities but don't eat them alone - they have a very powerful taste :) Add them to smoothies or use as a topper to soups, sandwiches or any dish really. If eaten with other food you don't notice the taste. The less you heat them the better so add them at the end of cooking a dish or eat them raw. For more info check out my website or youtube channel. I have some videos on growing Moringa from seeds or better yet root stock! It's December and we have had several frost so far but no freezes. Trees still look largely green here although they likely will be dropping their leaves soon!

• gentlehealthcare
    5 years ago

Anyone growing moringa in the Piney Woods of east Texas near Mineola or Lindale?

• shankins123
    5 years ago

Gentlehealthcare, you might want to post on the Texas Gardening page (this one is for Oklahoma gardeners)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH