Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

I got seeds!

momofsteelex3
10 years ago

Not that anyone cares. But I am tickled pink...well..hopefully tomato red if I can get them to grow! I ordered from the Tomato Growers, and she was super fast(Thanks Dawn for their link)! Very pleased! Here goes a new gardening experience for me, wish me luck!

Bre

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bre,

You're welcome.

How cool that you found some seeds you wanted! TGSC always is incredibly fast, and I appreciate that because not all seed companies are that fast during the growing season.

So, are you going to tell us which ones you got?

Good luck with them.

Dawn

• momofsteelex3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn- I got a pack each of Bush Early Girl, Roma, and Glacier. The Glacier intrigued me with description saying it lasts and sets fruit well, even in cold weather. How cold, I don't know. I am considering it an experiment!

Really, the whole growing tomato plants from seed is an experiment for me, but I would rather try now for fall crops, then be counting on them for spring ones.

So, I know we have gone over this before, but, I pot them in good potting soil, then can I place them in a window sill? Just make sure they stay moist. Should I soak them for early germination? Then, I am assuming once they sprout, I do the whole harden them off thing I do with the cuttings..1 day, 1 hour, and so forth? Yep, I am clueless, and I just know you have said all this before, so off to use the search bar!

Sounds like it sure is hot down your way today!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Bre,

The heat was brutal yesterday and today, but it was more the heat index (yuck) than the temperature. When you walk outside in the morning, it is just steamy....and that's the good part of the day! It all goes downhill pretty fast around mid-day. While digging potatoes and doing other garden chores I've been dragging a beach umbrella around with me, creating shade under which I can work. It is amazing how much that helps.

You can sow the seeds in a good soil-less mix. You can grow them in a sunny window if you want. I grow them right outside in a flat on a table in full sun. I feel like seedlings that grow in full summer sun have little trouble adjusting when put in the ground since they've been out in the sun and heat all alone. However, you cannot easily raise them outside at this time of year unless you'll be home to water them during the middle of the day. Small seed-starting flats dry out fast. Also, when you have them outside, you may have to use something to hold the flat in place so that the wind won't blow it off the table.

If you raise them indoors, they do need the same hardening-off as anything else raised indoors before the plants can be moved outside permanently.

Raising tomato plants from seed is easy. Most people kill them by over-watering them and causing them to damp off and die, so be sure to keep the soil-less mix moist, but not sopping wet. Once you've raised them from seed a couple of times, you'll realize it is incredibly easy.

Dawn