Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that tree (from the Tulsa Zoo)

Posted by joellenh 6b Jenks (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 14:28

I finally got a picture of one of the trees I have been LUSTING after. It reminds me of a Truffula Tree from the Lorax. Does anyone know what this is?

Photobucket

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that tree (from the Tulsa Zoo)

Looks like a ponytail palm, but they're tropical and not hardy here. Perhaps the zoo has it in a giant buried pot and brings it inside for the winter.

o

I would say Ponytail Palm too. Botanical name is Beaucarnea recurvata. Don't know how old it is, but the one in the picture is definitely an older plant which is probably taken inside every year. I think I have seen these at Wal-mart & Lowe's the bulbs on smaller plants are usually about an inch across wheres as some of the bigger ones I have seen are 3-5 inches across. I recently saw one of these in the palm house at the San Antonio Botanical garden that would make this one look like a seedling. It was HUGE!! Really neat to see. Hope you find one, it is a very easy plant to grow.

o

Thank you! Okay, I will grow one in a big pot. I love that tree. :)

Jo

o

I've been meaning to look up the Oklahoma Proven Tree list for you.

Here's an article:
http://www.ardmoreite.com/community/x656692905/The-best-trees-for-Oklahoma

http://oklahomaproven.okstate.edu/

Hope that helps.

o

If you want to see a giant pony tail palm growing in a container indoors, go to the BOK Tower downtown. It is either on the 720 (2nd street) level or up the escalators to the plaza level where the bank tellers are. I can take a picture at work and post it if you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here