Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

potatoes in bags

I thought it was time to harvest, maybe not. I think this one had blight, so that could account for poor production. I think we spent $20 bucks for those green bags, so those are some expensive potatoes, LOL.

Comments (6)

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

Those spuds are kinda small, but if that is the total production from one plant, not too shabby. A dozen potatoes under one plant is a good return. But if that before pic was taken immediately before you dug, you were a bit earlier than we like to be. We let our tops die back a lot more before we dig. Sometimes they are just dried out stalks.

• chickencoupe
    9 years ago

Similar to my production on some, but some were less. I planted late, had blight and, apparently, harvested too soon.

• wulfletons
    9 years ago

That is also pretty similar to the production of my in ground plants, and it looks like yours were a whole lot easier to harvest than mine were. I probably harvested too soon, also, but it was my first year growing potatoes and I kept reading that if you leave them in ground too long they will rot, and I decided I'd rather chance a small harvest than a rotted one.
    The potatoes are delicious, but I really, really hated digging them, and think that the only way I will plant them next year would be in a bag, and really your picture makes me feel kind of okay with that idea.
    Do you remember what brand of bag you used? Did you use potting soil? Does it look like you will be able to use the bags again next year?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

I've grown them in SunLeaves grow bags before. At the time I used them, the Sunleaves bags were around $1 each for the 10-gallon size. I specifically chose that brand of grow bags because they are white on the exterior which helps reflect light/heat off the bag instead of absorbing it like dark colored bags do.

Remember that heat causes potato plants to stop setting and sizing tubers, so when you grow above-ground in bags, you may get a lower overall yield because those bags above ground lack the insulation of the earth, and the growing medium heats up inside those bags earlier than grade-level soil. When I grew in grow bags, I strategically placed them where they had shade during the heat of the day. Digging potatoes in high temperatures is my least favorite thing about growing potatoes, but the yield from plants grown in the ground generally is higher than the yield from above-ground containers subjected to hot air temperatures.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought the bags at Worleys nursery in Owasso, there were 2 bags in the kit and I think they were more like $15. They have little openings on the bottom of the bag so ypu can harvest new potatoes. I didn't try that. I put Yukon gold in those bags and planted red Pontiac in empty dog food bags. I left the others to harvest later. I put these bags on the east side of the house in an effort to keep them cooler. The foliage is looking a little shabby. We added soil to the bags as the potatoes grew, but the potatoes were all in the bottom of the bag.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus