Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrholme

Teeny weeny zucchini

chrholme
10 years ago

How do you know when to harvest this? I have 4 fruits that the blossom is still attached but it is nice and green- then I have two that the blossom has faded and now they are turning yellow and kind of wrinkling. Did I wait to long to harvest or did something get to those?

Comments (8)

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Christina, most of mine were wiped out by cutworms and I only have one plant left, which just began flowering about a week ago. I pulled out the packet for Burpee's "Teeny Zucchini Hybrid" and it says harvest when young and tender, 4-6" long.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Sometimes squash doesn't get pollinated and it will just turn yellow, wrinkle, and fall off. It usually happens early in the season and stops when you have plenty of male blossoms and an adequate number of pollinators. It is easy to see the difference in male and female squash blossoms if you want to hand pollinate them. George (Macmex) has a great tutorial that he shares, if you want to give it a try.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I did not plant any zucchini, but I just went to the garden and noticed I have some teeny butternut. They are only about an inch long and may fall off later.

• brad6622
    10 years ago

i had six zuchinni plants all over a foot tall and really wide with little zuchinni on them. I battled squash bugs but removed them and their eggs everyday. In one week they have all died though. I have no clue what happened. I cut into one of the stems but didnt see anything out of the ordinary

• brad6622
    10 years ago

i had six zuchinni plants all over a foot tall and really wide with little zuchinni on them. I battled squash bugs but removed them and their eggs everyday. In one week they have all died though. I have no clue what happened. I cut into one of the stems but didnt see anything out of the ordinary

This post was edited by brad6622 on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 18:42

• brad6622
    10 years ago

sorry for the double post

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Trees, You can harvest zucchini at pretty much any size, and we like them best when harvested fairly small. If we miss a few and that get really big we just feed them to the chickens.

I think yours may not be getting pollinated, as already has been mentioned, but there are also some fungal rots that get the zukes sometimes.

Brad, did you slit open the stems to see if squash vine borers were inside the stems? Sometimes you cannot see an entry point and will find them only after cutting the stem.

If it isn't squash vine borers (and they are here in my part of OK killing plants now), then it likely is bacterial wilt. Cucurbit family members are very susceptible to bacterial wilt, which often is carried from plant to plant by cucumber beetles. There are other diseases that get the plants too, including fusarium wilt.

Dawn

• chrholme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for everyone's responses! I'll start pollinating tomorrow and also plant a few more flowers in hopes to attract more pollinators :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz