Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherigw_gw

Black Diamond Crape Myrtle

cherigw
10 years ago

does anyone know if they will "revert" to another color? I purchased two last year at Home Depot. Kept them in the pots over the winter. One leafed out early (May) with the dark purple/black leaves. I thought perhaps the other one was dead. . .but just last week, here come the leaves. . only they are green. ..not the dark purple black like last year. Any thought or clues??

Comments (13)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't think they should revert, but that is not the same thing as saying they will or won't or do or don't. I just planted some about 6 weeks ago, and have noticed that the new foliage is a greenish purple when it first emerges, and then gets darker.

Is the green foliage a true green or is it a purplish green?

I am wondering if maybe the crape myrtles with purple or chocolate foliage are grafted onto the rootstock of a crape myrtle with green leaves? If so, then it is possible they froze back to/below the graft line and that the top part did die and it is the rootstock that is regrowing. If what you're getting is true green foliage, that would be the most likely explanation for why it happened. It also could be that you're getting foliage that is greenish now and will darken as it ages, but that is not the sort of foliage I see emerging on my Black Diamond Best Red plants. Their foliage emerges purple with a just a slight hint of green that then darkens to a deeper purple.

I wouldn't have thought that crape myrtles in pots in zone 7 in Oklahoma would have frozen back to the graft line even if they were grafted. It wasn't especially cold this past winter (or, it has been so hot since then that I've forgotten how cold it was).

You could contact the retailer from whom you purchased your Black Diamond crape myrtles to see what they say, or you can contact the grower, J Berry Nursery at their website, facebook page or on Twitter (@jberrrynursery).

In her great article on Black Diamond crape myrtles, horticulturalist Leslie Halleck says they hold their color all season, which makes me think something might be wrong if you're seeing foliage that is really true green and not just a greenish-purple.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Leslie Halleck's Article on Black Diamond

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

Friend of mine bought 3 last year, and all three died. It's a new strain, and might be best to give it time...?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Moni, They died? Well that sucks. I would have been so disappointed if I had bought some and then they died. I love these things, but I bought really small ones in one-gallon pots so I potted them up to large pots for their first summer here. If they are still alive by spring (and I hope they will be because they are so beautiful), I'll put them in the ground. I've seen photos of larger specimens of these plants and they are the most beautiful crape myrtle I've ever seen. The blossoms against the dark leaves are so spectacular.

Dawn

• cherigw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!! I didn't think that crape myrtles were grafted, but I'm going to email Ms Halleck and see if she can give me any info.

I bought the one on the right and the one in the middle last spring at Home Depot. . .kept them in their pots (outside but watered) all year and was going to plant this spring (ha! can't be accused of rushing into something!). The one one the left came out late April/early May, the one in the middle I thought might be dead but there was green wood when I snapped a twig, so I kept hoping. . and watering. Finally gave up and went back to HD this spring and got another BD (albiet a little smaller). Now, the little "late to the game" guy is making leaves! They are not the dark burgandy/black, but not as green as my other myrtles. . .really a guess as to what will happen. Think I will plant the two dark ones where I initially planned last year and put the other lil guy in a place unto is own. Again, thanks all!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Cheri, Wow, that's green! I didn't think crape myrtles were grafted either, but then I was trying to logically reason out how or why purple plants would sprout green leaves, and that was what made me wonder if they were grafted. I don't even know if anyone will tell you---they might consider it a trade secret. That's why I thought Ms. Halleck might be a good resource---she's an independent horticulturalist who would be unbiased.

The new growth on mine look like some of the new growth on your plant at the left in the photo---just a greenish tint to the obviously purple foliage.

I guess it will be interesting to see if your green foliage turns purple as time goes on. I hope you'll keep us posted on what you learn about The Mystery of The Green Foliage. (Sounds kinda like a horticultural Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?)

Dawn

• cherigw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy Drew speaks to me (tell you how old I am)!! Will absolutely keep you posted. . .now off to watch B'ball!!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    6 years ago

Are the leaves turning darker as time goes on? Sometimes the new growth on my Black Diamonds comes out a little greenish but not true green, and the new growth turns darker as it ages.

• Dragonfly Hollow (z7b,North Texas)
    6 years ago

Dawn,

I'm thinking of planting a Pure White Black Diamond CM, and I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on them after four years? Do they appear black or is it more of a dark purple/plum color? Also, what height are they, and what overall shape do they have? Sorry for so many questions, but most photos online are close-ups.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    6 years ago

Michelle, Mine are in containers so have remained fairly small because of that---about 2' wide and about 6' tall. I keep thinking I'll put them in the ground, but haven't done so because the place I want to plant them is infested with voles so I'll have to make big hardware cloth baskets to protect their roots. Maybe I'll get that done this fall. They foliage is a very dark plum purple, not a true black, and the new growth comes out a bit lighter but darkens over the course of the season. Mine are strongly vertical, but they are in containers so they might spread more in the ground---I do not know. They are gorgeous though and I do want to put them in the ground and see how much bigger they get.

Dawn

• Dragonfly Hollow (z7b,North Texas)
    6 years ago

Thank you, Dawn. I'm thinking I definitely need one. ;-)

• sheree_pratt121
    5 years ago

I have the same problem, was getting ready to take it back to Lowe's because I thought it was dead. It started sprouting little green leaves along the branches.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    5 years ago

The new growth tends to come out green. As long as the plants are getting at least t hours of full sun a day, it will darken to a deep maroon that is almost black over a few weeks' time. If you're growing your Black Diamond crape myrtles in less than 6 hours of sun daily, the foliage may stay more green than dark maroon/black.