Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatowl

Passion Vine - Invasive in OK?

thatowl
10 years ago

I planted two Passion Vines this spring in pretty heavy shade, but they've been doing great and blooming already. I love them!

However, after a bit of research (after the fact) many say they are invasive & will spread underground...coming up as far as 30 feet from the parent plant.

What about here in OK? Will they winter over? Have you had them? I need to hear from someone who has actually had them for a few years to tell me if they have been spreading.

If you know first hand how they react, please let me know.
Thanks!

-Lela

This post was edited by thatowl on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:53

Comments (10)

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I grew one in Ft. Smith, AR. about 20 or 25 years ago. It was very aggressive but would not overwinter. I think there are 100's of different ones. The native plants around here overwinter (or come up from seed) but they are not a large and pretty as the one you pictured. The one I had, had to be dug up each fall and taken inside each fall along with my banana trees, it just got to be too much work.

Larry

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Do you know which one you planted? I have two types. The p. Caerulea (?) has grown into a huge vine covering my fence, but I do not consider it invasive. I am not finding a lot of wandering plants. Mine has been green through two winters, so I consider this one hardy.

On the other hand, I have another one that is invasive and I have been finding it all over the place. That one dies back every year. ....and it comes baaaaack :)

• susanlynne48
    10 years ago

The one in your photo looks more like Passiflora caerulea, or White Crown Passion Vine, not invasive like P. Incarnata. I have the invasive one, but I just pull up the little shoots wherever they come up that I don't want them.

Be forewarned that these are the larval host plants of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly. They can decimate a plant, but it will grow back. I'm attaching info on the butterflies so you can recognize the caterpillars when they show up. You'll also probably see the large, orange butterflies with silvery underwings flying around your passion vine. Oh, the larvae have spines, but are very soft to the touch.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf Fritillary Life Cycle

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

OM Gosh! I gotta get me one of those vines!

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Be sure and read the story of the passion flower, that is the reason I grew them. I would have liked to have more but they are space hogs.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Here's pics I took last year. (linked to post)

I am hoping, hoping, hoping for gulf fritillaries to show up this year. Last year I had tons and tons of food and barely any GF caterpillars.

LIsa

Here is a link that might be useful: Passionvine

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

Slowpoke, u r right. A beautiful story.

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

So if I want Gulf Fritillary, i need to get the incarnate?

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

No, the gulf fritillary will use both, here's a quote from Susan: " Lisa, that is one GORGEOUS row of PV caerulea! You've done an outstanding job of cultivating that speciea. I cannot get it to grow and overwinter for me and have tried two times now. Yes, P. incarnata is a thug! But, without it I wouldn't have the Variegated Fritillary butterflies. They won't eat P. caerulea or any other PV for that matter. "

So the Variegated Frits need the p. incarnata.

• thatowl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all your input. Yes, I do believe mine is the Passiflora caerulea.