Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Finally, green beans and new potatoes for dinner

mulberryknob
10 years ago

The green beans got planted late this year so are coming off late--at least 2 weeks late--but I found enough almost-ready ones for dinner tonight. We've been eating the new potatoes for 2 weeks wishing we had green beans to go with them. Put the last of the Sugar Snaps with them one night, but we like beans better.

Comments (6)

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Dorothy, your post made me laugh because I wanted green beans and potatoes before my beans were ready also, so I grabbed a bag out of the freezer to cook with the potatoes. Just as I dumped it in the boiling water, I realized it was peas, not beans. We ate them anyway, but today we had potatoes with fresh beans from the garden.

I had five bean plants that came up on the north side of the Sugar Snap trellis. From those five plants, I picked enough beans for a meal. They were the flat Italian type so I wanted to cook them separately. I picked some Blue Lake bush beans yesterday and it seems I have a baby rabbit that is helping me harvest those. LOL

My pole beans are starting to bloom, so I should have plenty of beans for awhile. My peas were not great this year. I was only able to pick them twice and even then they were not as good as normal. They had strings, like garden peas, and the taste was just not great. I bought new seed this year, but I think I planted from a rack pack and didn't open the ones from my trusted source.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

When I saw the post, I thought that I will have to eat new potatoes and green bean blooms.

I love the flat beans.

• borderokie
    10 years ago

Good grief!! I have been wanting them too but did not think to open up a jar from last year. Think we'll be havin beans and taters for supper tomorrow!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dorothy, Our green beans went in late too and haven't produced any beans large enough to eat but we have plenty in the freezer from last year since it was such a good bean last year and I've been using those. This is the first time in a long time that we have harvested lots of squash, sweet corn, cucumbers and even okra and hot peppers before picking a mess of green beans. I only planted pole beans for summer harvest, opting to save the bush beans for fall planting, and it took the pole beans a lot longer to start blooming.

I've never even tried snap peas with new potatoes, though I did think about doing it.

Larry, We love the flat beans too and grow more of them each year than the rounder beans.

Dawn

• ejm135
    10 years ago

Just picked a big bucketful of beans this morning. Most are going to get pickled but this thread has my mouth watering. Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight (maybe with a side or four of corn, squash, zucchini, and peas...and a quick salad of the last of the lettuce...and a few cherry tomatoes...so many possibilities - love this time of year!)!

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Dawn, almost all of your garden is far ahead of mine, but I do have beans. I planted really early and they were in the ground when we had that cold spell when I covered my potatoes. The pole beans were planted next to the trellis and each side of the trellis had a row cover over hoops to cover the potatoes. That meant that the beans had the benefit of several layers of row cover that bunched up at the bottom.

The bush beans were planted along a walkway made of dark grey pavers, so I'm sure they collected heat from the sun and kept the ground warmer.

I know that some people don't plant pole beans as early as they do bush beans, but I usually plant them at the same time. Of course the bush beans mature first, and by the time I rip them out, the pole beans are ready. I normally plant only pole beans except for the one Spring planting of bush beans to provide for that Spring hunger for fresh stuff from the garden. I've probably picked a half gallon from the bush bean plants and the pole beans are blooming.

I had never eaten potatoes and peas together either, and wouldn't have this time if I had looked more closely at what I was taking out of the freezer. LOL

I have been gone a lot and never did get all of my garden planted this year. When I was home it was raining or wet, so things didn't get weeded or properly taken care of. I have a small trellis of cucumbers that have just started to climb. They are about 2 feet tall, and so are the Trombocini which is the only squash I planted. I wish mine looked as good as Larry's.

I have ripped out the peas so I have two empty cattle panels and hope to find time to get something planted on them in the next couple of days. My garden is rather an embarrassment this year. It's a mess.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals