Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderokie

Row cover

borderokie
10 years ago

I am going to order some type of row cover. The few things I did get up last year were destroyed by grasshoppers. What type row cover do you think would give the most bang for your buck. Sheila

Comments (4)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How much are you looking for? Also, what specific plants are you going to use it for?

I have a large garden so usually buy it on 250' long or 500' long rolls. The vendors from whom I purchase it mostly sell it in big bolts in those lengths. Some sell it in smaller lengths. Some sell it in sizes more like 8' x 10' or 6' x 50', etc. If you are looking for smaller amounts, I'd suggest someone who sells it in smaller sizes. So, can you tell me how much of it you want, roughly?

I haven't even tried to use it for grasshopper control because I do not necessarily think it would work with grasshoppers. I hate to say that, but there are good reasons that I feel that way.....

Here's a couple of reasons why:

In the worst grasshopper year we had here in my part of the state (2003), the grasshoppers ate our fiberglass window screens and even the cotton rag rugs I had on the wraparound porch. I don't think a row cover will stop them because they can chew right through it if they choose. Would they chew through it every year? I don't know. However, it seems to me that if they'll chew through fiberglass window screens, they'll chew through row cover.

Grasshoppers are sneaky. When I have used floating row cover in spring to keep the moths from laying eggs on broccoli and cabbage, the hoppers always manage to find a way under the row cover. I am not sure how they do it. It could be the eggs are in the soil and they hatch out under the row cover to begin with. It could be that small nymphs hatch out early and get on the small plants almost as soon as I transplant them into the ground. Regardless, I have found them under the row cover often enough to think it won't stop a hungry hopper. I love it for some things, but wouldn't waste my time with it for others. I kinda lean towards thinking that using it to control grasshoppers would fall in the latter category.

If you are going to use floating row cover to exclude any pest, it is most effective if you have it on the plants from the moment they sprout or the moment they are transplanted into the ground. Once the pests are present, you are just as likely to trap them underneath the row cover with the plants as to exclude them. Once they are underneath the row cover, birds and other predators that might eat the insects now trapped under the row cover can't get to them to eat them. That's partly why I feel uneasy about using it with grasshoppers.

Do I think you could put it over plants now and protect them? Hmmm. Maybe, but maybe is not a real strong endorsement. Also, consider how you will hold it in place. The wind beats it up a lot here. I prefer to erect hoops over the beds and to suspend it over the beds, using metal fence posts and pieces of rebar to hold it down firmly to the ground. This also keeps it from floating too freely, which lowers the likelihood it will be torn to shreds whipping around in the wind. Is it made to float? Sure it is, but letting it float too much in our often strong wind can mean you end up buying new row cover every year. I am very careful with mine, and most of it lasts 3 to 5 years, but I know other people who have to replace it every year or every other year.

For summertime, you want a lightweight (also sometimes called summerweight) row cover that will not trap too much heat underneath the row cover. In cold weather, you want a heavier kind that provides frost protection. Generally the lighter the weight, the more light transmission it allows and the heavier the weight, the less light transmission it allows.

I think the two I use the most are Agribon-19 that I got from Farm-Tek a long time ago (it is a lightweight one) and the new DeWitt Ultra Supreme Frost Blanket (the heaviest weight I have found--giving 10 degrees of cold protection) that I bought to use this spring. I also use one that is somewhere in the middle---heavier than Agribon-19 but not as heavy as the Frost Blanket. It is the first one I ever bought, and I never have found another one exactly like it. I bought it at a nursery in the D-FW metro area in a flat pack and it was 6' long by 50' wide. They all have their uses, but I am not sure grasshopper control with them is very practical because they can eat through it if they choose. I use row cover more for frost protection than anything else. It is wonderful for that purpose.

Remember, too, that you cannot use it on crops that need to be pollinated by insects unless you are willing to take on the job of pollinating the flowers yourself. A lot of people do use it to exclude squash vine borers from pumpkins, winter squash and summer squash. If you are going to do that, you'll need to lift it up to hand-pollinate the cucurbits yourself, and then you need to replace it promptly so the moths cannot fly in and lay eggs on the plants while you are doing the hand-pollination.

As I was typing this and voicing my concern about whether row cover would exclude grasshoppers, I wondered if anyone could say for sure that they might or would eat floating row cover. So, I googled it and found some info from Texas A&M where they say it is a possibility and that one way to get around that is to spray the row cover with pesticide. I've linked that info below.
    Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Row Cover for Grasshopper Control

• borderokie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well darn. I thought I had that battle won. They did not eat the mustard greens but after I planted them I realized what I really wanted was tender greens. So that is what I want to plant this fall. Spinach, lettuce, radishes, beets, peas. You guys have inspired me to plant more now I just have to figure out how to beat the darn grasshoppers. My stinkin chickens would not get near the garden. Their coop is on the other side of the yard so they wouldnt stay even when I put them there. I may just have to spray. Swore I was going to try not to use anything this year. Dont use much anyway. Sevin is usually my only vice.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Sheila, I bought a roll of aluminum screen wire which I plan on using some for my small fall crops, hoping that after the plants get a little size to then they will be better able to withstand the grasshoppers. It is a little pricey but I plan on using part of it on a very small greenhouse and cold frame.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

By fall, the grasshoppers are big and slowing down. I don't have them devouring crops so much in fall as in mid-summer.

I did put EcoBran on part of the garden that had a lot of hopper activity last week, and have seen almost no grasshoppers since. You might try EcoBran. It does contain 2% Sevin, but is in a bait form so only the pests that ingest the bait are affected by it. It is my only chemical vice in the garden, and I don't use it every year...but this is looking like an epic grasshopper year here...and I do mean that in the worst possible way.

I think aluminum window screening like Larry mentioned would work and as a bonus, it is sturdier and would be reusable.

It might be that grasshopper won't eat your row cover. You could try spraying it with Garlic Barrier or with Hot Pepper Wax.

You know, sometimes the pest problem you're anticipating just doesn't even happen some years. Every now and then I have a year with no squash bugs and no squash vine borers. There's no logical reason why, but sometimes it happens. Most years I have raccoons getting the corn about 5 days before it is ripe enough for us to harvest it. This year....so far, no coons, and we already are harvesting the early corn variety. I don't know if the coons will show up later, or not at all. There is a distemper outbreak affecting coons in western North Texas near us this year, and our house is in a part of our county surrounded on three sides by Texas, so maybe their distemper outbreak is having a positive effect on our corn crop, so to speak.

Still, if hoppers are around, they're likely to be a problem on leafy crops in late summer and early fall. I just plant stuff I know they like (in my garden they are especially fond of lemon balm and cat nip_ as a trap crop to lure them away from food crops. You'd be surprised at how well it works.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional