Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crab Grass

Posted by okoutdrsman 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 19:51

Okay, I've heard of using buckwheat, mustard, wheat and numerous other plants for a green manure crop. I've decided to use crabgrass, instead. Not by choice!
I've been working out of town 3-4 days a week and the crabgrass has just about taken over some of my garden that didn't get mulched. It's been too wet to till or weed every time I've been home for the last three weeks. Frustrating!
Wonder how much baled crabgrass would work for hay?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crab Grass

I have more problems with Crab Grass than I do with Bermuda Grass. My onions were almost buried in Crab Grass, I pulled most of it, knocked the dirt off it and piled in in the garden. It will be tilled back into the soil when I harvest the rest of the onions.

I think Crab Grass would be OK for hay, but if its too wet to till it is probably too wet to bale also.

o

Oh man, that stinks! The hay I bought had crabgrass seed in it. So, I understand.

o

I can normally keep it under control, but this year is an exception. At least I got to vent a little!

o

The Noble Foundation, based in Ardmore, did a lot of research on using crabgrass as forage back in the 1970s and even developed an improved crabgrass they named Red River. I learned this when I did some research after seeing an ad in a magazine placed there by someone in Ardmore who was selling crabgrass seed. I was totally flabbergasted to learn that anyone would buy crabgrass seed and plant it on purpose.

I'll link their crabgrass page for your reading pleasure. You don't even have to thank me for digging up this info. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: The Noble Foundation: Crabgrass For Forage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here