Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erod1_gw

I Think This is Pretty Doggone Cool

Erod1
10 years ago

This is not a commercial link so i think im ok posting it. I saw this in a magazine today. Im going to request some seeds for next summer.

http://dougoster.com/blog/?p=727

Em

Here is a link that might be useful: Free tomato seeds

Comments (10)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Heh. Every gardener has a secret 'recipe' that they don't tell anyone else -ever. Limbaugh obviously had a secret 'sauce' for growing tomatoes that he didn't share with anyone else.

When any one asks how I keep my garden so green and pretty all summer long, I just tell them that it takes plenty of compost and amendments and that I water things every other day, and then water the whole thing once a week, grass and all. Mebbe, once in awhile I'll throw some Miracle Gro on it.

I have two 'secrets' that I don't share. It really isn't a technique for newbies to try, to begin with. So, I don't shre it with them, to begin with. IF you get the mix and the timing wrong, you're screwed. The real trick to that particular secret is that you gots to have patience. ...and you can't listen to so-called experienced gardners if you want to use it (especially those government trained Master Gardeners).They absolutely freak out. "You CAN'T do THAT!" Well, mebbe I can't, but it works. If it works, it isn't stupid. If it works, and if it doesn't create more problems than it solves? Yeah, I reckon I'll do it, anyway.

The other secret? Well, let's just say that an old Southern Lady shared one of her gardening secrets with me. Once again, many experienced gardners would freak out over it. "You shouldn't do that!" In retrospect, I wonder why I hadn't figgered it out, myself, years ago. It was a real 'DUH!' moment. Humbling, too. Why'd she share it with me? I think she just wanted to see the 'stunned ox' expression on my face...that, or she likes our garden.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Erod- tears! So sweet. I can't help but think of my grandpa, who died in 2007 in his 80s. He usually had a few tomato plants going, nothing crazy, but would put fresh water in the birdbath every single morning, and I'd help him.

• Erod1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mia,

I thought this was just the sweetest thing also. It reminded me of my grandmother who kept gardening right up till the very end. They have passed on something so special to all of us who now carry on their traditions, like you helping your grandpa.

Im now teaching my grandchildren, ages 2 and 3 about gardening early. We did our first pot of herbs this spring and the 3 year old will tell you what it takes to grow a plant..... Dirt, seeds, water and love.

Mr. Limbaugh seems to have touched a lot of lives, i want to grow the tomato and think of my own grandchildren someday sitting on the back porch with a just picked, vine ripened, warm tomato in their hands and remember what i taught them. You can grow anything with a little dirt, seeds, water and love.

I loved the story too, im glad you appreciated it as well Mia.

Emma

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

wbonesteel,
    All the gardneres in my family are gone, so I have no one to share secrets with me. All I have are books and you guys.
    Whats it gonna cost to get those secrets? I'll pay it........
    LuvaBasil

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

There are some things that each of us takes for granted in our own gardens. Little things that we've done for so long that they have become an autonomous function of how we garden. Like breathing, we don't even think about it. It just...happens.

This is one reason why some people enjoy having children in their gardens. A child will ask a question, in just such a way, as to cause us to stop and think about why we've done a particular thing in the way in which we plant and groom our gardens and plants. It's like being asked how you breath and why you breath. You have to stop and think about it for a minute before you respond.

Other things? Yeah, we do them on purpose...because we know they work, but those same 'secrets' may not work for everyone, in every situation or in every greenhouse, garden and climate. So, we keep them 'secret.'

The 'price', luvabasil, is to go to my profile and send me an email.

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 10:03

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

wbonesteel, it is done!

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

Ahhhh. Obe Wan, thank you, thank you, thank you.
    (My phone died or I would answer via email)
    LuvaBasil

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Ah. That's the problem. Every other email I send gets kicked back.

• luvabasil
    10 years ago

wbs: the emails won't get kicked back anymore, I fixed it.....thank you again, my friend

• Erod1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the secret to gardening is that there IS no secret. A dear friend of mine who passed last year would literally just take handfuls of stuff and throw them out in the back yard. It was a hodgepodge garden, but it was beautiful.

Literally, every year she would harvest seeds and the next year just throw them here and there. She kept the weeds pulled and watered during drought and that was it.

The only secret to gardening is to just do it.

Humbly

Emma

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner